Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to get minimum quite time

Status
Not open for further replies.

markharvey

Programmer
May 14, 2001
GB
Hi there,

I have recently installed veritas backup exec 8.5. I have installed the windows 2000 agents and the open file option on all my other servers. The only problem i have with it is it keeps throwing an alert saying 'OFO; unable to get minimum quite time on \server\folder, is there a way around this ???

regards

Mark Harvey

We had this problem as well. After talking to the Veritas engineers, there is essentially no way around it. You can change the setting in the registry, but they recommend a minimum of 2 seconds, our servers are so intesive that I can't even get the 2 seconds they recommend. This will cause your jobs to constantly fail, we finally turned off the OFO option.

Hope this helps!!

You can also schedule (using the "AT" command and a batch file) to stop whatever services are making the server so busy- (use: net stop "servicename" ) While the backup runs, then after it is done- net start "servicename"

This WORKS

Trust me!

The main problem with that is, if you are a true 24/7/365 production environment, with a large amount of data to be backed up, "Can you afford to stop critical services long enough for that backup window?" If you are only getting 5 - 10 GB/hr throughput and backing up 70 -- 100 GB that's an awful long window.

well, in that case, you can probably afford to invest in some high speed backup devices. I have 2 ADIC DLT8000 jukeboxes, and I stagger the jobs across them. They can achieve up to 700MB/min throughput. We run Fullbackups on Fridays, and Differentials M-TH. Maybe your company can have a "scheduled downtime" one a week to accomidate the fullbackup, and then the week day differentials should take no time at all with a high speed device. The services would only be stopped for a short time. (possibly only minutes) You could use the Veritas "run command before" and "run command after" backup job is complete to kick off the batch file to stop all services, then to start all services once its done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back