Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get BrightStor ARCserve Backup Manager to connect to server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trebor666

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2003
GB
We have been successfully running BrightStor ARCserve Backup 9 (with the 9.01 update) no problem on a Netware Server 6 with SP2 running on a pure IP Network. The BrightStor ARCserve Manager connected fine until this weekend when we applied the Netware SP3 to the server. BrightStor ARCserve runs up fine on the server and the daily backup job still runs fine. We however can not get the BrightStor ARCserve Manager to connect to the server. It comes up with the error "Could not Locate or detect BrightStor ARCserve Backup Server." Any ideas as to what the problem is?

I had already reinstalled the ARCserve Manager but this had no effect. I haven't reinstalled the ARCserve on the server as I wanted see if there was any other thing I could do before doing this. If I do not get any other ideas I will reinstll the ARCserve on the Server at the Weekend.

I have tried reinstalling both ARCserve Serve & Manager but to no avail.

I have now only got this to work by switching IPX back on, which is not ideal as I was running a pure IP network.

Also it is not entirely fixed as I seem to have a conflict with SLPDA and have had to remove this from the autoexec.ncf as it causes ARCSERVE.NLM to hang when loading which consequently then locks when I try to unload all the Arcserve modules.

I also have new problem with ARCserve in that if I try to create a new job I can set the security information correctly. Everytime I come to submit a job it tells me the username or password are incorrect. I have put in the full NDS name but to no avail. My current job however is still daily job is still running so I do not intend to edit or modify this one in case this one fails to work.

Any suggestions on what is going wrong.

nothing changed on your w/s before this happened?

and it will not work on just ip?

have you tried putting the manager on another w/s?

No Pain No Gain

Is the servers IP listed in the host file on the w/s

Hi Trebor666,
Have you solved the Brightstor manager issue ?

I am having the same issue with a netware 6 server with sp3.

Thanks

Hi Afrata

No I never solved the issue. I contacted CA but that was a complete waste of time. They suggest uninstalling all the ARCServe and then reinstalling, I did this to no avail, they then gave me a link to download 9.01, but agin this did not solve the problem. They suggested changing the ipport for CATIRPC to 200,111,5000 & 777 again no joy. Currently I have had to switch IPX back on and the ARCServe Manager now connects.

At some point I will put SP4 on the server and then see what happens.

Let me know if you get any further and solve the problem.

Hi,

How's it going? Have you applied SP4 yet? I'm curious since I may have to do the same.

I've considered putting IPX back on the server until there is a fix for this issue.

Thanks,
Anthony

Hi Anthony

No I haven't got around to putting the SP4 on the Server. I will probably try and do it sometime over the next few months so will keep you posted. If you do go ahead and do it I will be interested to know if it sorted your problems.

Regards

Rob

Rob,
I solved my ARCserve issue with the following:

I set the NCP Protocol Preferences to TCP, UDP

Originally it was left blank, which might default to IPX.

Thanks,
Anthony

Hi Anthony

Where did you set the NCP Protocol Preferences to TCP, UDP? I can not find where it is set in ARCServe.

Thanks

Rob

On the NetWare server:

MONITOR - SERVER - NCP Parameters

NCP Protocol Preferences - put TCP UDP

Thanks

You can also use a SET command.

SET NCP Protocol Preferences = TCP UDP

Thanks,

Anthony

We've had the same problem off and on for a couple years now. It won't work, then by magic it will work on only one workstation, then it will stop again for no reason. We currently can't use it all. ArcServe is the worst backup product I have ever used. Brightstor is no better. It's all CA. And don't try to get support. You have to pay and they are absolutely no help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back