Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to get a set enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Centerfielder

Technical User
Feb 9, 2006
CA
I am hoping someone could advise on things to check.

I have one set that I can enable and it will ring from inside and outside calls on the switch but the set itself will not come up or ring.

Overnight the switch dsbl's the TN. I expect because it cannot detect the set.

I know for sure the set is good. Is it possible the jack is bad? How can I verify the jack?

Can anyone give me a possible solution?

Appreciate your help

Try plugging another known working telephone into the jack?

plug in the phone, make sure it's enabled then in LD32, do an IDU on the tn... if it fails, it could be a cross connect, jack or even a phone

Thanks for the help.
idu on the tn in LD32 fails.
Should I reverse the punch down?

PS I have plugged in a known working phone and it too will not come up.

Reversing the punchdown might fix it.

Start at the MDF, plug a known good phone into that TN, if it works, move to the next closet or IDF and repeat the steps until you reach the end location. That will verify where you are losing your signal and can troubleshoot the cabling from there.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

if you have a toner, plug it in the jack, it should be green, if it's red it is reversed, the failed IDU is saying that the switch is not seeing the phone, so now you need to put on your cableguy hat and shoot that problem!

Could be a bad pair on the set run, or u've cross-connected to the wrong stn cable, or like others said have a reversal.

Or you could just have a bad/flakey/corrupted TN.

Out the set and then rebuild it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back