Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to format MGC on fresh new install. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellzb33

Technical User
Jan 7, 2010
CA
Hi all,

Im doing a fresh new install of my lab equipment so I wanted to wipe the MGC card completly using mgcIPclear, diskformat and reboot it. However for some reason I am no longer able to go in oam or ldb using CTRL+LDB. All I see is " ^L^D^B ".

I have tried with a different keyboard, same result. I rebooted the MGC several time, there's nothing I can do. I installed this card several times in the past using the same procedure I am trying to do and never had this problem.
Still, I used mgcsetup to try to configure it and I configured my IP Node in Element Manager, but its not going up at all and I am sure it won't untill I can format the MGC properly as I usually do.

Here is the message I get right now :

regWithMainCabinet: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
Failed to Register with Primary Call Server[10.250.0.2]
STARTUP: unable to send registration request to Primary Call Server.

Anybody had the same problem when trying to use "ctrl+LBD" ? Thanks !

I am using the direct serial connection. CONTROL+PDT or OAM works fine on the CPPM card. I have no idea what else I can try right now.

When the MGC reboots theres an option to stop it from loading all the way to get you into the setup (not at my desk to get my books and docs); have you tried that?

I've only see ^L^D^B when it actually connects to the call server and is programmed as a TTY on the call server.

Matthew - Technical Support Engineer

I will try that tomorrow guys. Hopefully this mighr be helpfull.

Don't know how new your card is but you could try:

CS 1000E 5.5: Unable to access Media Gateway Card (MGC) shells on new cards
Problem Description:
On brand new cards out of the box, following an upgrade to the current loadware on the Call Server (CS) the Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM) and Local Debug Mode (LDB) shells are not accessible. After connecting to the cards getting the login prompt and password prompt, then the banner scrolls and that is it. Unable to get to the OAM prompt or LDB prompt. This issue is only seen on brand new cards.

Symptoms

No prompts
Cannot manage card
No output to Teletypewriter (TTY)

Problem Resolution
Manual workaround:

1. Telnet into the MGC which you will not be be to access properly.

2. Go to LDB level (Ctrl + L, D, B).

3. Type in "remove /p/cspversion.txt" and hit the RETURN key.
To verify it:
ftp <MGC IP address>
cd /p
Ensure cspversion.txt gets deleted otherwise repeat step 3.
(You cannot see anything echo on this hosted screen)

4. Repeat step 1, you can login into this MGC normally.
There is no need to reboot the MGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back