Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to find Blank Media error W3832

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electro

Technical User
Jul 14, 2000
CA
We have a Compaq TL891 Jukebox system and running Windows 2000 AS, SP1 with Arcserve 2000 SP2.

We have noticed that after we change tapes that we are getting "Unable to find Blank Media error W3832" messages - intermittantly. This mostly happens with our full backup job only backing up a single Unix box. Unfortunately it's tiresome getting up at 2 am to make sure the backup job kicked off ok.

We have tried setting the Arcserve options to overwrite same media / any media. It still will not and gives us this error. It almost appears as if Arcserve gets confused with it's tape library database? These tapes have all been pre-formatted so that these issues would not happen....guess I was wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

OK - after you put BLANK TAPES in the tape library you must close the door, let the library do it's own inventory, THEN use the Arcserve DEVICE MANAGER - DEVICE - INVENTORY and inventory the slots you just changed media in.

Or, stop the Arcserve tape engine, service the library with media, then start the Arcserve tape engine. This will FORCE a complete inventory.

NEVER allow duplicate barcodes.

All media in a barcode-reader equipped library should be barcoded.

Let me know how it goes.
Regards,
Jim P. Ames
True Data Storage Networks
Arcserve Service
Data Protection and Recovery

We have had a similar problem. In our Pre batch file, we stop and start the Arcserve Tape engine. This gives it a kick, forces it to inventory the tapes, and hey presto! it finds the tape for the backup.
Cdav

Hi Jim,

We implemented the solution you provided some time ago and although it helped we still seem to have the same issues. We are not using a Bar Coded inventory system as well. Every time we change tapes we perform an inventory of the tapes.

CDAV - I'm interested in your solution regarding the pre-batch file. I have never used the command line based options for Arcserve and have seen little details on them. I'm assuming you are using the Net Stop / Net Start commands to stop and start the engines?

Thanks,

Darryl Brambilla
EDS Canada
Darryl.Brambilla@eds.com

We experience the same problem, job not finding an available blank tape for continued processing, and we have just (right before the job is scheduled) loaded 15 blank - bar coded tapes and done a complete inventory of the tape library. There are no tapes in the unit that do not have barcodes labels (short of the cleaning tape which is in the designated tape leaning slot). The only thing we do not normally do is power the library down and back up. We are running ARCserveIT - 6.61 - build 8345P2A and have Qualstar Model 4440 units.

Anyone have any ideas.

Chris H. Weems
IS Communications Department
Lockheed Martin Space Operations
E-MAIL Mailto:chris.weems@lmco.com
VOICE (281)333-7374
FAX (281)333.6009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back