Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to enable remote desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2004
Hi:

I need to enable remote desktop on my server. However when I go to system, remote tab, and try to check the enable remote desktop on this server, it has been grey out.

I try to enable it by going to the registry HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server and set 0 on fDenyTSConnection Dword Key.
It doesnt work.

I try going to group policy and enabled the settings on allow users to connect remotely using terminal services. It still doesn't work.

Any more ideas??

Sounds like you have a policy somewhere that is over-riding your settings.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Run GPRESULT on the server to see what policies are hitting the server.

Regards,

Mark

All you need to do is install terminal services administration license it's included with 2K3 Server and allows to terminal service connetions for free.

goto control Panel > Add/remove programs > add/remove windows components > Terminal Services

Add the administrative use license only.

Sorry but that is incorrect. Admin mode on 2003 is installed by default. Installing via Add/remove Programs is for switching to Application Sharing Mode.

Regards,

Mark

You might need to give yourself Enterprise or Domain Admin right. Just a thought...

Mark Don't be so sure yes Admin mode is installed by default, but we see terminal service removed by people who install and think they aren't going to use terminal services.

Tres

I would double-check that the terminal server service hasn't been disabled.

I think there's either a local or domain policy that's causing the problem though, disabling that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back