Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to do brick level backup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 11, 2002
GB
If I try and backup Exchange 5.5 brick level using Arcserve 6.6 on Win2000 upgraded to Arcserve 2000, the job always crashes.

If I try the same backup across the network from another backup server (Same Arcserve Ver.) I recieve this error message,
E8604 failed to start backup. (dbname=dbaexchg2, EC=Backup agent error (356)"Another job is running on the server try later"
(Even though no job is running)

I have tried stopping and starting the Arcserve services on the Exchange server.

I have tried applying sp3 but returned that no products need updating.

I have ensured that the Backup Agent for Exchange is configured correctly.

Any ideas???

Neil

Check task manager, see if asjob.exe or asrunjob.exe is open. Stop this, or kill the process. That's what makes Arcserve think a job is running. Or re-boot the system if you can instead.

As well, with Arcserve stopped, check to see if rds.exe (lower case) is running...this also will interfere as it will think a previous job is still runnint.

I am also having trouble backing up the brick level using ArcServe 2000 with exchange 5.5. The message says I cannot backup brick level on full system backup. I would like to run only one job to backup the entire server and not two. I am running a full backup every night. Any thoughts how to figure this out?? Thanks.

Steve

Steve:

I'm not sure you can't do a brick level along with full system. I'm running cluster, so it's two seperate ones for me anyway. But it shouldn't be any different than running a full system and SQL agent backup. What is the error message code and EC: code you get? You'll find it next to the red dot in your activity log. Include them in your next post.

Wes

I had this same problem today with Arcserve 2000 trying to back up Exchange 5.5 bricks level. I did have to separte the jobs. Then it was incomplete. Most mailboxes were not backed up except for calendars. I keep getting "E8602" Failed to read from database. I can't seem to find out how to fix it. However, I do see lots of solutions that don't work. This could save me some time but I still don't have a solution.

Techie,

Another thing to check is the FAQ on CA's site...they actually admite, without really saying it, Bricks level is difficult. Yes you'll get failures...sometimes it's because you have problems with your information store. BAcking up the same server, some day's I'll get completes, the "nice blue dot"...others incompletes....same setup, same id's. Kind of like others say...it's like an old car...

There's a "fix" on the CA site, that actually fixed an issue I had, go to the download site, it's the first of two downloads for Exchange. But if you don't have problems with Brick, don't apply it. I've applyed it to one of 3...the other two work fine without.

To solve the 356 error,
go to the registry and change the dbaxchg2 to inbackup mode to 0.

This should solve the error.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back