Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Determine Security Priviledges?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick2196

Technical User
Jan 11, 2004
US
Good Morning! I am getting this error whenever I try to start Peachtree... "Unable to determine security priviledges. Please retry later. This is probably due to another user temporarilly blocking access to critical files."

Do any of you know any procedures I can use to troubleshoot this error? I have a company backup from last monday, so I do not want to lose data from the past 5 days. Note - All of the terminals have been shut down, except our sever, which has been rebooted, and my pc as well. I have tried to get into peachtree on every pc, but to no avail. As all of you know, when Peachtree goes, you go, so I am really in a bind. I appreciate any and all help you can give me.

Thanks

Please look for any .lck files on the workstation or on the server. If you find them, delete them.

Also, can you confirm that btrieve is running on the server?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

dgillz, Thanks for such a quick post. Unfortunately, that didn't work. I deleted the .lck files in my company's folder on the server, but it didn't seem to help things. Any other ideas? Oh, I also am not familiar with btrieve. Our sever is really just a pc tied into our network via a hub. Is btrieve a process which should be running? Thanks again for the quick help. i appreciate it!

Btrieve should be running as a service on the server. What is the O/S of your "server" and I can tell you how to check this.

A few more questions:
How many users get into Peachtree at a given time?
Did you delete all .lck files from all workstations and the server?
Do you have a copy of your Btrieve diskettes or CDs?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Exact Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

dgillz,
Thanks again for the reply. My "server" is Windows 2000, and all of the workstations are as well. All of the workstations, except for mine, are powered down right now. We can have up to 10 users at a time. I deleted all of them (.lck files) from the company folder on the server. There were none in my folder on my workstation. I do not have a copy of btrieve. Thanks for your help!

Did you check to see if btrieve is running on the server as a service? In win2K you do this by cicking on start, settings, control panel, administrative tools, services.

dgillz,
I cannot seem to access my server right now. i am attempting to fix this remotely, but anm not having any luck. Someone will be into the office in the morning and will be able to check btrieve. Should btrieve be running? I am sorry,. but I do not know a whole lot about that program, only peachtree.

Btrieve must be running, it is the database engine that powers Peachtree. I strongly suspect this is where the problem lies.

10 users is a lot for Peachtree. If you are interested in other alternatives, please let me know. In the meantime feel free to call me on my cell phone tomorrow as I will be on the road

Unfortunately, this error message can only be resolved by restoring a good backup or sending in your data for repair.

You can email me at gayle@baytek.com for more information.

I am sorry to say but "dgillz" you are mistaken, btrieve does NOT have to be running on the server, nor even installed on the server for Peachtree to work.

Crystalpro could be correct that the data is corrupted, which is why it would cause that error. If you connect to your peachtree company data remotely, it could be the cause. Peachtree is a LAN app and is only recommend to be used that way, not as a WAN app. BUT there are other things that can cause that error, especially on networks. make sure that you still have full access to the shared directory and its sub folders and files.

There is also another file type *.ptl that you get ride of like the *.lck files. But you need to do a search in the entire Peachtree directories not just the company folder.

See if you can get into other companys, like the sample ones that came with Peachtree. Do they give the same error?
Also, when did this happen? Did someones computer or the server crash just before this happened?

kjf1973,

I had the same problem, and deleting those .ptl files as you suggested worked like a charm. Thanks a million. You most likely saved me hundreds of dollars!

Sometimes it is as easy as rebooting the server. That also gets rid of lck & ptl files. Sometimes it is corruption. Always reboot first. I just had one workstation that caused this problem on a regular basis. We finally replaced the computer with a new one running 2000.

Slidr1032, glad that it helped.

Jim Dale, rebooting the server does not actually delete those files. Rebooting will help if the file is locked by an app that you cannot manually get it to free the file. If the file is damaged and you reboot, when the server comes back up it will still be damaged. If you have a dedicated Peachtree server, then it might not be a big deal to reboot a server, but if you have a very highly active server, that is responsible for other departments or other services (which is what MS or even Novell’s Small Biz Server are designed to do) you will end up causing down time unnecessarily, which we all know time is money. Something about taking down IIS, Exchange, Print and other services on the network, when it is not needed, sounds like bad idea to me. So, I would recommend a reboot if you cant fix it another quicker way. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back