Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

daint

Technical User
Oct 4, 2000
GB
Hello,

For some reason, I can't delete folders which contain files. I can go into the folder, delete the files, then delete the folder. I get an error Access is denied, make sure the disk is not full...

The disk is certainly not full.

When I select properties for the folder, it shows a greyed out tick in the read only box, and no matter how many times I try to get rid of it, it shows when showing properties again.

I've set the permissions to the folder and all sub-folders, but this has no effect. I've set the owner to the user logged in, I've also ensured the user is an Administrator.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry, in a slight update, it seems that I can delete folders when there are only files in them, but when there are other folders, this is when the problem occurs.

Another update...

When trying to empty the recycle bin with these folders in, again an error message appears

Cannot read from the source file or disk.

Might be worth noting, I have three seperate hard disks in this machine, all three with the same problem.

daint,
have you tried in safe mode?
do you have permission to delete?
do you have other software on that is preventing you from deleting (norton system works)?
regards,
longhair

If you are not running things like Norton Protection try something like this,

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

Currently defragging, so I'll try the safe mode after that.

The permissions to delete should be ok, I can delete a folder full of files, just not a folder with folder inside.

Don't have any software which I can see preventing deletion. Not installed any other software for several weeks - months

Thanks for the reply though

I've run chkdsk, this did show a few errors. Ran chkdsk /F which claimed to fix all the errors, but still same problem.

See how you go with Safe Mode. What length of address do these folders have (how deep are they)? Can you move them then delete them? What is creating these folders?

Undeletable Folder
thread779-788352

How the Recycle Bin Stores Files (Q136517)

Cannot Empty Recycle Bin or Modify Recycle Bin Properties

Cannot Delete Any Files in Windows

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Try the free version of "Ewido"

Windows Defender

OK, thanks for all your help.

I've found out it was a peice of software called orb, which has only recently ran with system startup. When exiting out of this, I was able to delete ok.

The software shares files on the system, therefore must be preventing deletion.

Incidently, it is good software, but a clear bug/problem with it.

And thanks a lot for that list of software, I'm sure it will come in useful anyway.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back