Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete registry keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffJS

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
GB
I am running Win2k Pro SP4. I have removed a time-limited program from my PC now that the eval has expired. When I check the registry there are still entries in the reg pointing to the program. When I try to remove the keys I get the message that I cannot delete them. It doesnt say why or what I should do to remove them. I have tried safe mode, reinstallinf and removing the app, several reg editors but to no avail. Is there something I am missing here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Right-click the key and change the Permissions to allow yourself to delete the key.

Remember that the permissions are set on the key and not the value.

Hello,

I seem to need a dummies course in reg editing. I cant even see / get to a menu where I can edit permissions (where is it ?). I have admin rights to the PC.

right-click the key, a menu appears, select Permissions.
You need to use reged32.

Hello again, right, now I am using the correct regedit32 and the error I am getting says I cant even access the key because it is corrupt, but it wont let me delete it either. I have tried to edit other keys and they are fine. I am not getting any corruption errors when running 3rd party reg fixers so I am at a loss as to what is happening here.
Thanks for your help.

Hello JeffJS,

What is the key's name?

regards - tsuji

Hi all, thanks for your replies and sorry for not getting back to you earlier but I had a bit of a problem. Needless to say this reg problem had to go away for a while. I have tried the suggestions given but still with no joy. The software installed was Adrem Server Manager 4. After the trial period I removed it. Then having done a regscan/fix there are some left over bits referring to the software, but I am unable to remove them. The keys are :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ADREM\Serve Manager
and \Setup

Both keys appear to have no values but I cannot delete them. If the problem does not go away I will probably just reinstall Win2k and ghost it before I install any software.
I Believe the program checks for the presence of an Internet connection and checks their website to count down the number of days left in the evaluation period. I am not wanting to circumnavigate the protection of their software but I do not agree with them modifying my registry and not being able to remove it. If there is anyone who has used this program and knows a solution I would be most gtrateful for your reply.

Many Thanks

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back