Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete print job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon52

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2010
US
I have a problem getting a remote printer to start printing again. A print job was sent to it that didn't need to go to it, and now no other print jobs will complete. They are stuck in the print cue. When I send an invoice (that's what this printer is for, printing invoices) to the printer, it shows up in the cue with another job before it. When I try to delete the jobs, I get the error:

UNABLE TO DELET JOB(S)
Warning: "main.aerial:" is not a request id or a printer
To Fix: Cancel requests by id or by name of printer where printing.

The jobs will both disappear from the cue after that, but still no invoices will print. I have tried using:
cd /usr/spool/lp/requests
but nothing shows up when I hit enter.
I also tried using:
/usr/lib/lpshut and /usr/lib/lpsched
and the problem remains. I need some help because this printer is used to print our invoices for our custom print department.

Thank you.

a remote printer
HAve a look at the /var/spool/lpd directory.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I have WAREHOUS, Invoice1, Invoice2, Invoice3, Invoice4, Invoice5, and outlet listed

Note the weird job name - "main.aerial:" - with a ':'.

Did the job show just like that? Can you show us exactly the output of lpstat -t showing the bad job?

What version of SCO?
What patches are applied?

You might have to manually remove the scheduled job and it's index file - how to do that depends on what version of SCO you have.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

I'm not sure what version is running or if any patches have been applied. I rebooted our UNIX server last night, hoping that that might clear up the problem. I do not have very much experience with UNIX. I inherited the reponsibility of this when they fired my boss over a month ago. Before that, I could ask him how to solve these problems or have him take care of them.

Just got a call from the department that has the printer, and an invoice was already printed this morning. So, I guess all it needed was a good reboot.

FYI:

For SCO Unix, the version info is:

uname -X

(That's a capital X)

----------------------------------------------------------------
Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
SCO Authorized Partner
Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
(209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

If you are now responsible for the machine there are a whole group of things you will eventually need to take care of:

1 backing up or verifying that backups happen
2 clearing out email messages about system functions
3 monitoring the file systems
4 handling user issues

You might want to start asking questions about these.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

i have found the worst culprit with remote printing to be sco itself. if you are using sysv and not cups for remote printing make very sure that the :ex option is NOT in the /etc/printcap entry for the printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back