Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete HP Colour laserjet 4700dtn on the client PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeena143

Technical User
Jun 20, 2008
GB
Hello

I have a HP Colour laserjet 4700dtn shared printer installed on a windows 2003 printserver.We use XP pro as a client OS and on these client PCs i have installed this printer through add printer wizard-printer and pointing to the print directory. Now i want to delete the printer from the client PCs.when i right click and delete this printer.
Remove printer dialog box appears which is saying printer connection cannot be removed.Operation cannot be completed.

I restarted the local spooler service and tried to delete the corresponding printdriver from the printer server properties in the client PC.It says unable to remove the HP colourlaserjet 4700 Intel,windows 200 or xp drivers.The specified print driver is cutrrently in use.The interesting thing is this is happening with all with all the users.Iam not able to understand.In the past it was straight forward deleting and reinstalling the printer ,now it is not doing the job.Is this something associated with the userprofile
Any suggesions will be greately appreciated.

Logged on the PC as the current user:
1)Open the "Printers and Faxes" applet in control panel.
2)Press the Shift key and then Right-click in the white area of that box under the listed printers.
3)From the "Run-as" menu listing in the drop-down, choose "Server Properties."
4)Choose to "run-as a different user" with administrative credentials on that computer.
5)From the "Print Server Properties" box, choose the drivers tab.
6)Holding down the Ctrl key, select all of the drivers you want to remove.
7)Open the control panel, then open "Administrative Tools".
8)Press the Shift key and then Right-click on "Services."
9)Choose to "run-as a different user" with administrative credentials on that computer.
10)Highlight the Print Spooler service.
11)Line up your two open windows so that both are visible. (Timing is everything at this point.)
12)In the "Services" window, restart the service.
13)(Quickly) focus on the Printer and Faxes window, and as soon as the service has restarted, click the "remove" button.
14)You may have to repeat steps 12 and 13 a couple of times if you are not quick enough.
15)The most recent drivers will reload from the print server in time or as the printer is used and/or you can remove the printer from the local PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back