Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete folders, gain permissions or view folder contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

stclsquid

Programmer
May 25, 2004
US
Hi,

I am having difficulties with a couple folders on my server. They are causing the backup to hang, and are not used so I would like to get rid of them.

I cannot delete them, and the permissions tab is not there. I have no access to the folders and have even tried cacls through dos to gain permissions. I have tried rmdir /Q /S still to no avail. I get access denied to the folders.

I have also tried to use inheritable permissions through the parent folder, and they are not getting them that way either.

I have also tried deleting through safe mode and get the same errors.

This is a production server and I am a little hesitant to remove the drive and slave it to another system.

Does anyone have a clue how to fix it?

If I figure it out I will post a solution for others who are curious.

Thanks a bunch,
Chris

I've had similar experiences. I have fixed it by taking a full backup or the data content of the server (remove the folder from the backup selections), and run chkdsk /f /r on the problematic drive. If it is not the system drive the machien can unmount it whilst still in operation, but if it is the system drive you'll need to perform this on a reboot.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back