Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to delete folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACraib

MIS
Sep 7, 2001
GB
Hi

I am trying to delete a folder from a W2K server and I receive and "Access Denied" error.

If I get properties of the folder I do not receive the Security tab so I can't change the owner or permissions.

any ideas ?

first off...
are you admin on the server?
are you logged on physically to the server, or is this over a network share?

if you don't see the permissions tab, that is strange! unless disk is not NTFS...

HOW TO: Use Xcacls.exe to Modify NTFS Permissions

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume

Aftertaf

I've tried the xcalcs.exe program and while it runs with no errors (when I user the /C switch) I still can't change permissions of the folder or delete it.

does it have a messed up name, this folder?

the disk IS ntfs and you ARE admin ?

Aftertaf

no .... it's all very strange.

The folder is call RONALD ILLUSTRATIONS.
It's on a NTFS drive.
I've tried logging on locally and across a share both as a domains admin and a local admin.

try deleting the parent folder.
or moving it to a new, empty parent folder.
if this doesn't work, try again in safe mode..

these things sometimes persist and you have to take the beast half apart to get the thing done...
David

Aftertaf

Hello to all,

sorry to hijack but have the same problem...
Im on 2000 server, as admin, and cannot access, delete, modify, autorize, change audit, or anything.

you cannot either change or delete the root directory because of this folder...

Thank you.

guys I have seen this issue many times on Win2k servers with long directory names and paths. If the path is greater than 255 chars, you will experience the issues mentioned. To get around this;
Go into a DOS prompt and use the SUBST command to create a drive alias to the longest level path that you can accomodate. From there you can delete your folders.

Hi itsp1965

Unfortunatley the path length in my situation is only 52 characters.

I have tried the subst command but still couldn't delete the file.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back