Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to create TTY 1 on Port 1 of SSC card

Status
Not open for further replies.

twmeyer

MIS
Mar 31, 2003
US
I have an Option 11C running rls. 25. I had TTY 1 configured on Card 0, Port 1 for one of my terminals. We needed dial-in access so I moved the port to a modem, which I have done several times without a problem. I didn't have any luck getting access through the modem so I eventually gave up. After I moved the port back to the terminal I couldn't get access through the terminal either. I connected a different port to the terminal and it worked. I decided to out the TTY and recreate it. After outing it, I am unable to recreate it in LD 17. Here is what I get:
REQ chg
TYPE cfn
ADAN new tty 0
TTY_TYPE sdi
CAB 0
CDNO 0
PORT 1

SCH5508 (Same card and port number has been used.)

I have INI'd the switch and restarted it without any luck. Any other suggestions?

have you tried new instead of chg ??

LD 17
NEW
CFN
ADAN NEW TTY 0

Colin

You cannot do NEW for CFN, only CHG. Card 0 Port 0 is programed as TTY 0. TTY 1 is usually programed as TTY 1. Card 0 Port 2 is programed as TTY 2. Program the as such. First print in LD 22 PRT type is ADAN and see what you have programed.

When you hook up a modem to these ports DONOT put a null modem cable on the db25 from the switch. If you have it hooked to a local terminal, you have to have a null modem cable (adapter) connected in the series some somewhere.

DO NOT ever take out TTY 0 as you will probably not ever get it back without re installing the software.

This should work. I use this configuration all the time on Option 11Cs.

your post has
REQ chg
TYPE cfn
ADAN new tty 0
TTY_TYPE sdi
CAB 0
CDNO 0
PORT 1

shouldn't it be
REQ chg
TYPE cfn
ADAN new tty 1 you've got tty 0 on this line
TTY_TYPE sdi
CAB 0
CDNO 0
PORT 1

I mistyped in my post. It should have been
ADAN new tty 1

Here is my prt from LD 22, it does not have tty 1 listed:

REQ prt
TYPE adan tty

ADAN TTY 2
TTY_TYPE SDI
CAB 00
CARD 01
PORT 0
DES CDR
BPS 9600
BITL 8
STOP 1
PARY NONE
FLOW YES
BCST NO
USER SCH CTY
TTYLOG 0
BANR YES
ADAN TTY 3
TTY_TYPE SDI
CAB 00
CARD 00
PORT 2
DES ACDDATA
BPS 9600
BITL 8
STOP 1
PARY NONE
FLOW NO
USER ACD
CUST 00
SSUP NO
APRT YES
ADAN TTY 4
TTY_TYPE SDI
CAB 00
CARD 01
PORT 1
DES TRAFFIC
BPS 19200
BITL 8
STOP 1
PARY NONE
FLOW NO
USER TRF SCH
TTYLOG 0
BANR YES
ADAN TTY 8
TTY_TYPE LSL
CAB 00
CARD 10
PORT 0
DES
BPS 1200
BITL 8
STOP 1
PARY NONE
FLOWTYPE MAIL

You are in trouble. You dont have a TTY 0 on Card 0 Port 0. You will never be able to upgrade or do anything with the switch. It wont let you program TTY 1 or TTY 0 if I remember right.

You can try programing TTY 0 on Card 0 Port 0 and TTY 1 on Card 0 Port 1. Dont think it will work. Will have to think about how to fix it unless someone else can think of how to do it. I know a few weeks ago there was a discussion on TTY 0 missing.

In LD 17 do a CHG
then ADAN
At the ADAN prompt type NEW TTY 0 and/or TTY 1 and go from there. Good luck

I can not program TTY 0 or 1. Is there any solution to this? Is it possible to reinstall without losing all the programming? I can't go to a backup since I don't know when TTY 0 was removed.

Why does the system allow these ports to be removed if they can't be reprogrammed?

I guess it's time to call in my vendor and have them call Nortel.

Why does the system allow these ports to be removed if they can't be reprogrammed?

So they can charge you to dial in and fix it.

as unkalary said, who knows why nortel switches happily let you proceed to commit suicide without any warning

A Nortel tech was able to dial-in to the switch and recreate TTY 0 and TTY 1 for me. I have not found out yet what he had to do to fix it. I plan on giving him a call to see if it was something I could have done. I'll post an update when I find out.

Hi. I've got a similar problem with our Option11C. We lost power on the pbx last week, and since that i've not been able to log on to tty 0. tty 1 works fine. It looks like the port doesn't have the bps, bitl, stop and pary settings. Does anyone have a clue? Here is the info:

LD 37:
TTY 0 : ENBL DES: Terminal
TTY 1 : ENBL DES: Modem
TTY 2 : ENBL DES: Netman
TTY 3 : ENBL DES: Elan

LD 22:
ADAN TTY 0
TTY_TYPE SDI
CAB 00
CARD 00
PORT 0
DES Terminal