Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to create new folder access denie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave10

Technical User
Oct 22, 2003
GB
Hi my first thread so please excuse if it has occured before I'm running xp pro sp2 and for no reason when trying to create a new folder on the desktop I get "unable to create new folder access denied" I can create in a existing folder but am unable to drag to the desktop any ideas

Have you been able to create them before? Are you logging in as an administrator or is your user account restricted of doing this. It sounds more like the latter. I would doublecheck to make sure your user account has the access rights to do so.

Enkrypted
A+

control panel,user account, guest account off, I'm listed as administrator

I would check in the event log viewer to see what error message this is producing. It might help in resolving the issue.

Enkrypted
A+

Is your Desktop set to Display a Web Page and has this setting been locked?

See Display Properties/ Desktop/ Customize Desktop/ Web

How are you trying to create this folder on the Desktop, are you right-clicking on the Desktop and selecting New?

C:\Documents and Settings\UsernameXXXX\Desktop

What are the Access Permissions for your Desktop folder under the Security tab?

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Some general things to try.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Explorer.

Try Safe Mode (Do you have this problem in Safe Mode?).

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

Solved , finger trouble my fault I created a folder on the desktop ,left it called "new folder" then made it private from properties when I changed it's properties it cured my problem many thank's for suggestions keep up the good work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back