Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to create LPT4.PRN

Status
Not open for further replies.

jatsky

Programmer
Oct 16, 2001
US
I have the problem, that my clipper program can´t print to LPT4 or higher under W2000. It generates the DOS error 87
Under W95,W98 or NT4 print to lpt1 to lpt9 with no problem.
The stations are using the NET USE command successfully, but still get the error.
Someone had solve this problem ???
Thanks
Jatsky

Check the Clipper forum if it is still active. I remember a discussion about this subject a year or so ago.

Woodlark:
I check the forum, but they all suggested to use the net use lpt4: \\server\printer which already i'm using it but with no luck.
Jatsky

Well - ya came to the right forum this time ;)

Windows 2000 only has 3 LPT ports by default..here's how to get it up to 9 ports:

use Regedt32 and go to..
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Ports

You can see the available ports in the right hand pane.

On the Edit menu, Add Value name LPT#: as a REG_SZ data type. Leave the String empty.

NOTE: # represents a number from 4 through 9.

After exiting the Regedt32, stop and restart the Spooler service, either in the Services tool, or at a CMD prompt:

net stop spooler
net start spooler

Try your commands again..."magic!" ;)
Have fun guys..

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

PBXMAN:
But still doesn't work, I create the ports and still get the error. Any other suggestions !!!!
Thanks
Jatsky

If the net use is a batch file, add pause to the end of it and run it. I have a similar problem, and it tells me the device is already in use on the machines that it doesn't work on. I'm still trying to figure this out. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"Man is not weak; knowledge is more than equivalent to force."
Samuel Johnson (1709-84), English author, lexicographer.

jatsky,

can you tell us how you are calling this LPT? an Error 87 means "Invalid Parameter"..what happens when you try LPT3?

first, type:
net use

at a command prompt. Is LPT4 listed? pbxman
Systems Administrator

pbxman:
Is not a batch file, through the RUN CMD command y created the following:

NET USE LPT4: \\the servername\the printer device

This will always will be available unless i manually delete it. If I type NET USE, it will show LPT4 successfully.

Thanks
Jatsky

Okay - if the printer is there it's time to see if it works..

I just tried this to verify from a CMD window that it does work:

1) created a simple.txt file in c: containing characters
2) at c prompt I typed: copy sample.txt lpt4
3) document printed on network printer using LPT4

Can you verify that the printer works by doing this as well, and then post back? pbxman
Systems Administrator

pbxman:
No it doesn't work. ????????? Any suggestion???
NOT EVEN THE OLD DIR > LPT4
Thanks
Jatsky

Ok - that looks like the root of the problem. The overall goal here is to get the Windows 2000 machines to have LPT4 listed in the regular "add printers" section when you choose to add a local printer.

By default, Windows 2000 will shot LPT1-3..doing the regedits will add LPT4 and more if you specify. If you do it correctly, when you double-click "add printer", then "local printer", the next screen will show you available ports to check and activate.

LPT4 should be listed. If it isn't go back and verify your registry settings. You should have LPT4 listed in the registry looking EXACTLY like LPT1-3. Then stop and restart the spooler, and check the printer list again. LPT4 should be listed now.

Once it's listed, then that PC can print to an LPT4 "net use" mapping. Have you got that far?

If you would like screenshots, i'll be happy to help if you send me an email at jt@nserv.net
I can post screenshots of all config screens if you need assistance.

Let me know is you get stuck. If everything is configured correctly, and you still cannot print, then i would suspect a Win2K compatibility issue with the clipper software, and a 3rd party print spooler or Clipper update may be in order. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back