Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to create folder called "System" anywhere!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBentley

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2003
We've got a Windows 2003 STD server, which is unable to create a folder called 'System' anywhere. I also created a folder called system on the share of another machine, and it cannot even see the folder. Windows Explorer will complain the folder name exists if you try and create a folder called system, even on the desktop.

Any ideas?

I dont have a problem doing it. And have never heard of this problem. If you have folders called SYSTEM or PROGRAM on the root of the system drive, you will be notified of possible risks upon, i think, shutdown, or start up, and asked if you wish to rename to SYSTEM1, PROGRAM1 etc. But it doesn't stop me from creating them, and doesn't even enforce the name change.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

I think the problem is deeper than that. I cannot create a folder called system anywhere. If I try and create a folder called "System" via the CMD line it fails, and, if you try and rename "New Folder" to system it says it already exists - then the folder promptly vanishes.

I also tried navigating to c:\windows\system via CMD line, and this works fine - however via explorer the folder doesn't appear to exist either.

Are you running the x64 version?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

what happens if you search for it with windows serach?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

It won't see the SYSTEM folder, anywhere. Nor let me create a folder called SYSTEM anywhere.

Can you post the EXACT error message you get when you try and create it?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

suggestion test

run windows search. Search for "Mouse.drv". it is possible that you have had a virus that has imaged, and locked your system folder, and copied it's contents. If this is so, then there is nothing you can do but run the Windows recovery disk and do a repair install. I don't know any way around it apart from using third party "fix it" software like TuneUp2006, but I dont know at all if that would fix it.

If you find Mouse.drv, have a look at the location. Then navigate to that location, you should find all the other system files there too.

NOTE
====
I'm at home now, and don't have a server system, so I'm just guessing that the mouse.drv file is in the 2003 system folder as it is in the XP file system. If it's not, either find out a file that should be in any server 2003 c:\windows\system folder, or I will let you know tomorrow morning when i get back to the office. Try the Mouse.drv, it should be the same.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Mouse.drv is in the System32 directory, as its supposed to be. That directory is fine. Its creating anything called "System" anywhere thats the issue.

there should be a

mouse.drv in system32 and
MOUSE.drv in system

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back