Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to create control files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphaaa

Technical User
Jan 15, 2002
US
I installed a new oracle 8i release in my sparc system, but at the end of installation optional assistant was not able to create a database successfully. I had the follwing error when i try to mount the database. Also, oracle was unable to create the control file. I used touch commands to create the control files manually for oracle, but it was still giving me the same error.
SQL> alter database mount;
alter database mount
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00205: error in identifying controlfile, check alert log for more info
After checking the alert log file it has the following error.
ORA-00204: error in reading (block 1, # blocks 1) of controlfile
ORA-00202: controlfile: '/export/home/oracle/oradata/oradata/xdata/control01.ctl
Please help me someone, I have reinstalled it but it did not help.
Thanks
-Alpha

Alph,

If there were problems creating the database, then there is a good chance that Oracle did not create the controlfiles successfully. The fact that you used "touch" to "create" the controlfiles, by definition, says that a MOUNT is going to fail...you cannot use "touch commands to create the control files manually for oracle" [it's kinda like "helping" baby chicks out of their shells] it doesn't help and it doesn't work. If control files did not already exist, then the "CREATE DATABASE..." command must do it.

So, either get a db assistant, wizard, or script to successfully create a database, then you can graduate to "ALTER DATABASE MOUNT."

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 06:00 (19Jan04) GMT, 23:00 (18Jan04) Mountain Time)

Mufasa,
I tried both Database assistant wizard and manually scripts to create a database, but no success. I even try
to create a new contro file
"CREATE CONTRILFILE DATBASE XDATA NORESETLOGS;"
It gave me the following error

"create controlfile database xdata
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
ORA-01565: error in identifying file '?/dbs/dbs1@.dbf'
ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status
SVR4 Error: 2: No such file or directory

I might be wrong when i used touch to create controlfiles, but it was just a check. I guess the problme is with oracle managed file system, however it is never been to auto.
Any idea?

Alpha,

The diagnostic indicates (as I'm sure you inferred) that it cannot resolve the path and filename you specify. I would recommend using a fully specified path in your file-name specifications for your controlfiles (i.e., do not use "?"), then post your results here.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA @ 19:24 (19Jan04) GMT, 12:24 (19Jan04) Mountain Time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back