Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to create console connection between PC and P5 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat000003

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
CH
Hi all.

As part of my upgrade from AIX 5.2 to 5.3, I have upgraded the firmware on my P51A dev server. I still need to upgrade the ethernet adapter firmware before I go to 5.3 though, but I was unable to get a console connection up between my notebook and P5 server? I do not have an HMC..

I was able to make a connection with a serial-serial cable to my IBM SAN switches, but not to any of my P5 servers. I am making use of ZOC Terminal software and have tried a BAUD rate or 9600 with 8N1, as this is what a tech from IBM UK suggested, but I am still unable to connect. I have tried Hyperterminal too, but this does not work either.

My console is assigned to /dev/tty0 and it is enabled and the settings of tty0 look like this:

TTY tty0
TTY type tty
TTY interface vcon
Description Asynchronous Terminal
Status Available
PORT number [0] +
Enable LOGIN disable +
TIME before advancing to next port setting [0] +#
TERMINAL type [ibm3151]
FLOW CONTROL to be used [xon] +
STTY attributes for RUN time [hupcl,cread,brkint,icrnl,opost,tab3,onlcr,isig,icanon,echo,ec> +
STTY attributes for LOGIN [hupcl,cread,echoe,cs8]

Sorry for the poor formatting...

I have tried setting enable login to enable, but this dd not make any difference.
Any suggestions would be appreciated, as the 5.3 upgrade is on hold till I get a console up-and-running.

Thanks
kat000003

Hi p5wizard, I have tried that too, but to no avail.

I initially thought I was using the wrong cable, but my connection to the SAN switch was fine, so it's definitely not the cable.

I know IBM servers are pretty choosy about handshake lines on serial ports, so you might want to try another type of cable.

I used to make my own cable with following jumpered lines:

[tt]for 25pin D connector:
1 -shield------ 1
2 ----------------- 2 possibly 3 depends on connected device
3 ----------------- 3 2
7 ----------------- 7

4 -\ /- 4
5 -/ \- 5

6 -\ /- 6
8 --+ +-- 8
20 -/ \- 20

for 9pin D connector:
3 ----------------- 3 or switch 3 and 2
2 ----------------- 2
5 ----------------- 5

7 -\ /- 7
8 -/ \- 8

6 -\ /- 6
1 --+ +-- 1
4 -/ \- 4
[/tt]

HTH,

p5wizard

Just found out that I need to get a hold of either a null modem adapter for my existing cable or a null modem serial cable... busy sourcing one, will test it and see if it works.

Thanks for the input!

kat000003

Do you have an async card in this system that you are using to connect the console? Your print out show adapter sa0, which signifies such. If not, and you are using one of the vty ports (S1 S2) on the back of the system, you should assign the console to that vty port (smit), and not to a tty. Tyically you cannot create a tty device on a vty port.

vty ports have a default baud rate of 19,200 (8 1 n). This cannot be changed using smit, you must use ASM to do it. Although it appears that smit is changing it, there is no affect on the actual settings.

Also, since you indicated you upgraded the firware on this system, I assume the console connection must have worked previously. I have done many firmware upgrades on P5 systems and have never seen this happen. If you put the new firmware on only the temporary side, go back and boot from the old firmware (permanent) and see what happens.

Hi psi07004.

As mentioned, I spoke to an IBM tech and he suggested that I get hold of a null-modem serial cable, which worked at the end of the day.

Because I was able to connect to the brocade switch, I thought that mym cable was working, turns out that I should not be able to connect to the brocade switch and P5 with the same cable...

Thanks
kat000003

I need a serial console cable for my AIX boxes (seems we have lost the one we had!). However I am confused about the one one to order. I wonder if anyone can point me at a specific one?

As I understand it .. it needs to be female/female. 9 pin (4 top and 5 bottom) and all 9 pins connected - as far as I know!

I believe IBM AIX may use an unusual connection pattern? or is any null-modem serial cable ok?

Hi tim441, that would be correct - female to female.

A 'normal' serial cable might look the same, the only visible difference between my null-modem serial cable and my serial cable, is that the null-modem one has a white face, while the 'normal' serial cable has a black face...

Might be a good idea to confirm with IBM which cable your machine takes, if you provide them with the type- and serial details.

thanks Kat. We need a cable that can connect from a PC to a Hardware management console on an system P 505 server but i'm struggling to find info for finding the correct part number or cable to order.

Tim441, you should not be hijacking other threads...

But please explain?

PC to HMC on a p505 ??? I never heard anything like that!

If you have an HMC and a p505, they are connected via ethernet (cross-cable, hub or switch) and then you have your console screens for the p505 LPAR(s) as a VT-emulation screen on the HMC interface.

Why would you still need a PC connected to the HMC?

HTH,

p5wizard

sorry - I thought i should continue the thread as it seemed a similar issue. Happy to restart elsewhere if you prefer - or can someone change?

As you can see i am not so technical and tried to post my understanding - but incorrectly! My colleague now tells me its simply we need to connect the PC to the p505 server using a serial cable. The HMC information was incorrect - apologies.

Serial cable for RS6000 / pSeries / system P:
Pre p5 systems use 9600, 8. n. 1 by default, post p5 use 19200, 8, n, 1.

ASCII art time (sorry if it goes horribly wrong - try cut and paste into a plain text editor like notepad, it may work there. The problem seems to be TT fonts compress the spaces so nothing lines up any more.)

|____________|____________|
| TxD 3_____2 RxD |
| RxD 2_____3 TxD |
| RTS 7_____8 CTS |
| CTS 8_____7 RTS |
| DTR 4_____6 DSR |
| |_1 CD |
| |
| DSR 6_____4 DTR |
| CD 1_| |
| |
| GND 5_____5 GND |
| RI 9 9 RI |
|_________________________|

The connectors:

5 1
Device _|_______|_
End | o o o o o |
\ o o o o /
Female / _____ \
DB-9 9 6

5 1
System _|_______|_
End | o o o o o |
\ o o o o /
Female / _____ \
DB-9 9 6

Preview looks rubbish so here goes in text:

2-3
3-2
7-8
8-7
4 goes to 6 and 1
same the other way, 6 and 1 go to 4
5 - 5
forget 9

HTH

DukeSDD,

(off topic, but handy to know)

use [ignore][tt] and [/tt][/ignore] tags

like so:
[tt]text between
these
tags
does
line
up!![/tt]

[tt] _________________________
| DB-9 Side | DB-9 Side |
| Signal pin | pin Signal |
| TxD 3_____2 RxD |
| RxD 2_____3 TxD |
| RTS 7_____8 CTS |
| CTS 8_____7 RTS |
| DTR 4_____6 DSR |
| |_1 CD |
| |
| DSR 6_____4 DTR |
| CD 1_| |
| |
| GND 5_____5 GND |
| RI 9 9 RI |
|_________________________|

The connectors:

5 1
Device _|_______|_
End | o o o o o |
\ o o o o /
Female / _____ \
DB-9 9 6

5 1
System _|_______|_
End | o o o o o |
\ o o o o /
Female / _____ \
DB-9 9 6[/tt]

HTH,

p5wizard

cool, thanks, the tricky part now will be remembering... or finding this post again... or bothering to read the help pages... :) maybe the true type tags will lodge in my shaky html memory zone somewhere, we shall see.

[tt][ignore][tt][/ignore][/tt] - [red]T[/red]ek[red]T[/red]ips, TThatt shouldn'tt be ttoo hard tto remember IMHO?

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back