Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to create an outlook profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

said07

IS-IT--Management
May 3, 2004
US
When I try to create an outlook profile. At the Check name, I get: "The name could not be resolved. The Connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action".

The DNS on the machines (3 out of about 70) is from the DHCP. I am able to ping the exchange server by IP and by name, and it works.

your help is appreciated. Thanks

A checkname error can mean an invalid pointer in the contab service key for the PR_ENTRYID to the contacts folder.

What are you attempting to populate in the profile?

When Outlook is installed and first run, I need to create a profile for the user.

I reapplied the SP4 on those windows 2000 Pro boxes and everything seems to be like it should!
Thanks for trying.

your right - sounds likely that its the dns issue, enter the ip address of the mail server. Have you set DHCP to issue DNS / Gateway info?

I don't think it was a dns issue
I tired just the ip, still no resolution.
From command prompt, I was able to ping by ip and by name.
There that tells me that tcp/ip and dhcp are OK.
Microsoft told me that there is dll called something like rpcrt4.dll that was corrupt.
Reapplying the service pack fixed it;
everything is ok now.

I was aware of that document.
We had to do that reg thing to all our Y2K boxes after installing outlook or prior.
But in that case reapplying it, didn't help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back