Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to connect to win2k pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendas

Technical User
Feb 2, 2004
SG
hi,
anyone know whats wrong when i can ping a machine but cannot connect to it in anyway (ie. \\computername\c$, using computer management)
thanks

Are you trying to connect the Computer Manager to another computer, or are you just trying to access a share on another computer? If you are trying to connect the Computer Manager, all you need to do is go to
"Action" --> "Connect to another computer" and just type the computer name. If you are trying to access the share you would type the
\\computername\c$[\quote] into the address bar of Windows Explorer.

Are these computers members of the same Domain or Workgroup? Like Jmaddone mentioned, there are several ways to connect and the method could require different steps. If your not an admin or a member of the same domain, you will time out if you go to start > run and type \\computername\c$. It doesn't know where to search. If you open explorer and click the icon to map network drive, you can connect with different user credentials.

Addition to the other comments: did you enable the sharing of at least one folder on the pc you are trying to connect to?

Peace,

Yellow

i am the admin but the problem is i don't have physical access to the pc. how can i check it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back