Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to sql server (local)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffSabat

Programmer
Sep 15, 2003
PH
I'm trying to connect my report to an MSSQL server but i get an error, "Unable to connect to sql server jeffrey"
(Jeffrey is the name of my computer where my sql server is running)... what could have been possibly wrong...
pls help... i don't know what happen becoz i created this report in the same pc but now when i open it again and preview my report.. it cannot anymore connect to the server....
i've tried uninstalling and installing again crystal reports designer but still it gives the same error...

What kind of connection are you using? An OLEDB one or an ODBC one? It might be worth trying the other if you haven't already.

i'm using oledb....i just tried odbc and it works so i dont know what really happens with my crystal report designer why it wont connect anymore using oledb.

Was it a security issue? Was it integrated or SQL Server?

I'm really not sure... nway, i think i have to ask our system/network admin if he have done something in my PC...
nway, tnx for the reply...

Dear JeffSabat,

Hmm, you could try using the loopback address instead of using the machine name. I have found that sometimes when I cannot connect to my machine name or to local I am able to connect using the loopback.

In the Oledb DataLink properties I assume you are using OLEDB for SQL Server, on the Connection Tab instead of using the machine name, enter:

Enter the authentication information and select a db to connect to ... generally, if you get that far it will work.

Try that and see if you can then connect.

Regards,
ro

Rosemary Lieberman
rosemary@microflo.com, Microflo provides expert consulting on MagicTSD and Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back