Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to shared printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tabert

MIS
Sep 20, 2000
US
2 Win 98 Computers are on a peer to peer network, Netbeui and TCP/IP. They can browse each other in explorer. Both users are logged in on their computers. On Computer A, sharing of files and printers is enabled, the printer is shared with no password. User B can copy file to User A's shared folder, but gets a "User Intervention Required" error when trying to print to A's HPIIIP laser (It's online with paper). By the way, User X (myself) can print to A over our VPN. (WINS is being used). All three computers can also ping each other, so we have connectivity. This is one of those situations where it SHOULD work, but doesn't. Anything I might have missed?

I forgot to mention that we've checked that.

Thanks

Check the settings for the printer AND the application on user B's PC. It could simply be that the default page settings are wrong or printing is set on manual feed or the wrong input tray, or .. other things like that.
It is worth a shot.
Also, try a testpage first, so you don't have to leave the printer properties page.

Other suggestions:

Double check the drivers are locally installed on Comp B.

Double check that Comp B user's name is in Comp A's Control Panel>Users.

Double check that Comp A allows user resources to be used:
(r-click My Network Neighborhood>Properties>Access Control...click 'to obtain list'...type the 'shared workgroup name') -- I know this is a long shot but good as any.

--MiggyD

It sounds as though the printer port needs "capturing".

Regards.

There is no need to capture anything on a peer to peer network, although I must admit the VPN and WINS comment puzzles me in that aspect.
He can already see the printer!
The 'User Intervention Required' error is down to settings.

Let's just wait what tabert has to say next or we will start guessing to much.

Thanks for the ideas. I mentioned WINS because I'm on x.x.34.9 network and A and B are on x.x.35.x network. For netbeui protocol to find A from my network, it looks to the WINS server to find out where the printer is. I'm not addressing the printer by IP address of A, just it's \\computer name\printername.

I mentioned printing from X because I'm 250 miles from A & B, A&B are 20 feet from each other. Yet I can print to A.

When I install the printer driver on B, I accept the default printer settings. They should work. Print Test Page after install fails.

I tend to agree with marcs41 that it's a settings issue on B. I'll pursue that today.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Well, while you are at it, try \\ip\printername instead of \\computer name\printername
But for future ref. please indicate the server, as you initially mentioned it was just a WIN98 peer to peer network. Now it could be to the WINS connection of B, that is getting more complicated, so try direct printing to the IP first.

Ok, disregard my previous response. I based my answer on the notion that the printer was LOCAL to A.

"On Computer A, sharing of files and printers is enabled, the printer is shared with no password."

But apparently this is a network printer with it's own IP address.

Try marcs41's suggestion first and try sending the data directly to the ip addy. Did you try seeing it from the dos prompt with 'Net Print'?

NET PRINT \\computer[\printer] | port [/YES]

computer Specifies the name of the computer whose
print queue you want information about.

printer Specifies the name of the printer you
want information about.

No, it is not a network printer with it's own IP address.
I stated to use \\ip\printername because that bypasses name resolving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back