Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to Nortel Option 11 C remotely using Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameerc

Technical User
Oct 1, 2015
IN
I am trying to connect to Old Nortel Option 11C PBX using Modem. Connection gets established but I just receive junk character.
Please advise what setting needs to be checked.

This can be a number of problems. Are you actually seeing any messages?. If so, then the baud setting could be wrong. Most of my customers I connect with are at 9600 baud and some are at 1200 or 2400 etc.

You are best to use TTY 0 or any of the remote cabinet TTY ports if they exist!. TTY 1 and TTY 2 have different RS232 pins and it's a little tricky, but still possible.

Typical settings I use are N 8 1 and the trick here is to use a modem that is as dumb as possible!. It sounds odd, but certain modems won't work. If you get a blank screen, then you might need a Null Modem adapter.

I've attached a guide that I did some time ago that might help you.
Also, you might need to change the TTY USER settings to remove BUG, MTC and TRF etc.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Thank you Firebird. I have tried these setting but still get a junk characters.
I have AGere Win Modem. Do you know if any special setting required?
Also do you know if I have to use modem emulation and how does that work?

The only real documentation is for a US Robotics Modem. Will others work, probably. Not sure what you are asking about when you say modem emulation. A simple US Robotics Modem and a communication software like Procomm is what you need.

If you are seeing junk characters after connnecting, then the problem may be your terminal settings. Try using 7 bit, Mark Parity, 1 stop bit in your terminal profile and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back