Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect to Internet through DSL router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashyamsunderr

Technical User
Jan 20, 2004
DE
Hello,

Please help..........

I am unable to connect to Internet through the DSL router.
I am using windowsXP operating system and IE browser.
Whenever I am trying to connect to Internet its saying"cannot find server" . where as other three computers which are connected to the same router is working properly.

Please suggest me some solution so that I can connect to Internet.

Thanks in advance

Shyamsunder

Have you checked the NIC and network settings on the PC that has the trouble? Compare it's settins to the ones that are working and that may help weed out the problem. OF course first check to make sure you have link lights on that PC's NIC and on the corresponding port on the router. Next try a patch cable from one of the one's that are working.

JinRoh several excellent points. Make sure the port you are connecting to on the router shows a link light. If you don't get this far, no point in doing anything else. You can try another port on the router, or another cable or another nic, but without a physical link to the router, you are done.

If these things are ok, and let's assume they are, try several other things.
You need to determine if you are communicating with the router. Go to Start-run and type cmd into the box. This will bring up a dos box. Type ipconfig /all(enter) at the prompt This should show an ip address, more than likely 192.168.0.something, assuming your router is configured pretty basically. Try this on one of the pc's that are working and compare the ip address. It should be the same for the first 3 numbers, like 192.168.0.whatever.

The truth is, that if the other pc's are communicating with the router and are surfing, the problem is most likely setup related with this pc. Most probably in tcp/ip settings.

We need to know:

1) Make/Model of your router
2) Whether you've tried to enter the router configuration screen using your browser (per the manual) from the trouble PC
3) Is there a link light lit on the router for the port in which the cable is connected?
4) Ping or Tracert to a site like from the command prompt

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Hello

I have changed the ports, cables on the router, but still its not working where as other three systems which are connected are working fine.
I have also changed the winsock and winsock2 in the registry, I mean I took this two from already working system and exported it into my system, still no luck.

When ever I am switching on the system , the yellow light of the NIC is blinking for some time and then getting stopped.
I tried giving the router address in the browser but still its not showing the hompage for the router. That means its I mean my system is not identifying the router.

If anybody can give me suggestions online I will be very thankful. here is my yahoo id ashyamsunderr@yahoo.com

will be waiting for some productive solutions

Thanks

Hello Cdogg,

Make/model of router- TRENDnet TW100-S4W1CA
I have entered the address in the browser to get the router configuration screen but still the same message server not found.
I have also ping the router configuration address but I get the message "Destination host unreachable"
Light is linking on the port of the router to which my system is connected.
I made a ping to but it gave the message "ping request could not find the host
Do let me know some other solution.

Thanks

See the first paragraph of faq779-4017

This is a autonegotiation failure.
Not a software or Operating System problem.

Could this also have something to do with DNS on this problem pc? Another thing you may try is to actually switch NIC's. Try a known functioning NIC in the current problem PC and the suspect NIC in a functioning PC. Try pinging the loopback on the NIC the address is gonna be 127.0.0.1

Hi Again,

After trying all the possibilities given by all of u , I am standing at the same place where I am unable to connect to Internet.

So I tried to connect directly through the DSL modem and its working fine ( I was able to connect to Internet ).
But when I am trying to connect through the router from any of the port I am unable to connect to Internet, but on both sides lights are blinking ( router and my computer ). I have also changed the NIC's as told by JinRoh but no luck.
I tried to ping loopback. its responding +ve.I tried to ping the router configuration address but I got the message "destination host unreachable".

Then I got an Idea and I checked the services running in the laptop( friend's) which is connected to internet and then I also started all the similar services in my laptop, after that I saw that my laptop has received some bytes of data but again it displayed the same message "cannot find server".

I think that some service is not running( guess ). May be this could be a hint to someone who can solve this problem.

will be waiting for ur precious suggestions.

Have you checked to make sure that you have not restricted the number of DHCP Clients that you can have.... If you are using DHCP.

Shyamsunder,
A couple more questions for you:

1) Did you look at the first section of bcastner's FAQ link posted above?

2) Have you looked at the DHCP section of the router's setup screen (from a working PC), and confirm that there is no limit set on the number of DHCP clients?

3) Have you installed any DSL software to connect? If so, uninstall it and reboot before connecting to the router.

Since your laptop connects fine when directly connected to the DSL modem, it does not appear that there is anything wrong with your settings in XP (otherwise the modem would have similar problems connecting to your laptop). There must be some setting in the router that is preventing your laptop's NIC from being recognized or assigned an IP address. Definitely check the negotiation settings in both XP and the router to make sure they match.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Still not clear if you are seeing a link LED on your NIC and/or on your router. On the NIC it is usually a solid green. Also have you tried swapping a cable from a PC that you know is working properly? This would rule out any cable/port issues. Finally try turning auto-negotiate off. To do this, goto your network card properties (easiest way is through device manager, then right clicking on your Network adaptor and select properties). Click on the advanced tab and look for something like Link Speed. Make sure it does not say autodetect. Try instead to specify 10Mbps or 100Mbps. Try different settings until you have a solid link LED.

Once that is resolved, then check your IP settings. Going back to what xsquid was saying, have you tried checking your IP address? To repeat what xsquid said...

Go to Start-run and type cmd into the box. This will bring up a dos box. Type ipconfig /all(enter) at the prompt This should show an ip address, more than likely 192.168.0.something, assuming your router is configured pretty basically. Try this on one of the pc's that are working and compare the ip address. It should be the same for the first 3 numbers, like 192.168.0.whatever.

Also make sure your TCP/IP settings are configured to obtain IP address automatically.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back