Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to connect to exchange/activesync when using an internal wireless connection to set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

techseek

MIS
Nov 5, 2010
US
Hello
I was configuring a blackberry q10 for activesync on our exchange 2010 server.
Since I was having trouble getting the provider's connection (AT&T), I connected the BB to an internal wireless router. I then configured the connection properties for the user (email user/ server IP, SSL etc) but the device cannot connect. So my coworker used his smartphone connection instead of the internal wireless router connection and then the BB connected and synched up just fine. I am trying to understand why the first way does not work. I am guessing it's a DNS (internal) "misconfiguration" since the device acquires an internal IP. but I'd like to know exactly what is going on that prevents it
If anyone can clarify I'd appreciate it
Thx

You're guess is likely correct. Assuming your URL for Exchange is "mail.somewhere.com", try pinging that by name from an internal connection. You need to get the internal address of the server.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Hello
Thx for replying
I am trying to understand the reason it could not connect as I stated before.
I just tried from inside the office to ping my mail server 3 ways.

If I ping xxx.domain.com it fails
if I ping the external IP - it's good
if I ping the internal IP - it's good

Now, my understanding is that when I do a ping from my pc, the request will see that my DNS is configured to send request to domain controller which in turn has configured DNS servers which are assigned to us by our ISP. I therefore would expect all ping types to work

So, what's going on?

You have to create an A record on your internal DNS that uses the external name of the server but returns the internal IP. The A record needs to be in a Forward Lookup Zone named for your external domain.

Jeff
[small][purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day
"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/small]

Hi
is that a standard configuration?
I did not setup our exch2010 I had a consultant do it
thx

That's not just for exchange, We have to do it for any internal service that's also accessible from the web. If you're using port forwarding on your firewall, each service will have an external address visible to the Internet and a local, internal address on your LAN.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back