Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

codemonkey77

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
GB
Guys,

I'm using BO Crystal Decisions ver 11.5 and I've got reports which have links solely to one database working fine. However, when I add a report which references two databases located on the same SQL 2005 server, I get the following message: "Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters". My first thought was to add another driver to connect to the second database but when I do, I get a "Failed to open the connection" message. I've checked the log in parameters in Process->Database and all seems well here.

Can anybody help please?

Best regards,
James

With BOXI Release 2 when I get that message it is because maybe I have added the username and password logon information for one of the datasources but forgot to put the information into the other one. Is it possible that you missed one?

Regards,
Bessebo

When I add a report which points to just one database, I don't need to add login parameters. I've manually added password information for both data connections but without success.

What sort of authentication are you using on these 2 databases? Are they the same for both? ie Windows or SQL?

I would try creating a very simple report with one field against one database, publish and confirm it works. Create a second 1 field report from the second database, publish it and confirm it works. If both work individually, I would write a 3rd simple 2 field report (one field from each database), publish and confirm that it works. If you can get the 3rd report working, you should be able to get your other report working.

Good point Groggle. We're running SQL authentication here.

Following your advice gives the following:

Report 1 pointing to DB1 works fine;
Report 2 pointing to DB2 returns a "Failed to open the connection" message.

Both ODBC connections use the same user credentials to log in and work fine within the Crystal designer. I have two identical ODBC drivers on the Crystal Enterprise server and my development machine.

I'm checking SQL for any security / permission oddities, but nothing found as yet.

I've figured it out. On both the server and my machine, I deleted my User DSNs, replaced then with System DSNs and ensured they had the same log in information.

Once the report referencing both DB1 and DB2 was loaded into BOXI, I updated the SQL login details in Process -> Database with the SQL password. All working fine now.

This post was also very helpful:
Thanks for your help,
Fry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back