Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to connect 2 PCs. Am I stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronsox

Technical User
Aug 26, 2001
US
OK heres the problem. I have 2 PCs. One with win2k adv server and the other is winME. They both have NICs and are configured as 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 respectively. The subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0. I then connect them through my known good hub. When I attempt to ping the other NIC, my request times out. Do I have something configured wrong? And do I need DNS and a gateway installed for just 2 PC's?

while I have never owned even one PC, I think you need to have a LMHOSTS file in each PC if you don't have a DNS server I love everyone til they prove otherwise, sadly some prove otherwise SO quickly

First check if TCP/IP is running properly on each computer by using the loopback address 127.0.0.1.

ping 127.0.0.1

If it works you can ping to the own/other computer by its ip-address:

ping 192.168.0.2/1

in that case there is DNS etc. needed.
hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

oops
There was something wrong

in that case there is no DNS etc. needed.
hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

Hi,

The way you set them up is correct. If the destination IP is on the same subnet (as it is) then TCP/IP just uses ARP to get the physical MAC address of the target adapter and sends to that physical address. If its not on the same subnet then routing and gateways come into play.

Firstly, make sure win is really working with the settings you gave it - i.e. do the gui winipcfg command on winme and 'dos' command 'ipconfig /all' on win2k (can use wntipcfg from reskit if installed).

If it all looks ok, after trying to ping do 'arp -a' from a command windows to see if the mac address resolved. Or try another network related command such as 'net view \\192.168.0.1' .

Otherwise it could be the cables - are they both cat5 straight-through cables (patch cables) ? If one/both of them were crossover cables it wouldn't work. An alternative way of connecting two nics without using a hub (which in your case would rule out a faulty hub) is to use such a crossover cable directly from one PC's nic to the other.

Rgds

Hi,
Is the cable OK?. Try to install other protocols to see if cable is working. If so, Does any ligth appear is the hub?.
Try ping localhost (127.0.0.1), but you don't have to use DNS for 2 computers!!!. Just update the hosts file. I don't think that you may use lmhosts file in that enviroment.

Hope this help :p

I would agree with Rameriz. Try this if you got a link light on the pc try to ping your self. If both pc's ping ok then try a moving the cables on the hub to another port. You can also install a cross-over cable from pc to pc. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Make sure the nic card on the win2k is enabled..there is a good that it is not enabled..i ran into this problem a few months ago...so right click and see if it is enabled..once you see the icon on the bottom right corner..double click on it to see if you see activity on it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back