Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to cancel a job 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallacealex

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
ZA
How do I cancel a backup (if right click/cancel does not work) without having to stop services, reboot the Master server or having to impact other jobs busy running? I've noticed since upgrading to MP6 this function (where you go to directory JOBS and deleting the ID linked to the job you want cancelled) has dissapeared.

I do not recognise that way of canceling a job. Perhaps it's the way you tell it. Just use the GUI, go to the 'activity' window and right click on the job you want to stop.

Maybe I must rephrase my question. I have got a job that is looping/hanging and I am unable to cancel it via the GUI. Is there any other way of doing it without having to cancel existing jobs ?

well if it was solaris you could just do a simple 'kill -9 "job-id" ' to kill the bpbkar on the client. If it's Windows then I think you are very much stuck.

Double-click the job;
Select "Detailed Status" tab;
Get the job PID;
Open "cmd" window(Start>run>cmd);
key "kill pid" <enter>

If you get a share violation, you must intsall the win toolkit.

This can be performed from the task manager as well, except you are still counting on the GUI and get no feedback from the command.

If on Win2K3 then you can also use taskkill /pid <PID> from the cmd prompt

wallacealex,

After you do the items above (depending on your OS Win/Unix) that should "kill" the job.

If after the job is "dead" it still hangs around in the activity monitor as they sometimes like to.. follow these steps.

get the job number.
delete the job number from the following two locations
../netbackup/db/jobs/trylogs/JOBNUMBER.t
../netbackup/db/jobs/ffilelogs/JOBNUMBER.f

delete the job database (or rename)
../netbackup/db/jobs/bpjobd.act.db

stop and start bpjobd
bpjobd -terminate
bpjobd &

Dorga,

Can you perform the steps you listed even while there are other real/good jobs running?

thanks

I used a utility called pskill to get rid of those pesky jobs. I know we worked with Veritas to fix a similar problem in 5.0 dealing with multiplexed jobs not cancelling - perhaps it started in the version you're currently running. We went straight from 4.5mp3 to 5.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back