Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to browse network

Status
Not open for further replies.

twok

MIS
Aug 27, 2001
US
I am running a NT 4.0 server with about 20 clients running win 98.
I am suddenly not able to browse network neighborhood on the client machines. On the server I can only browse the domain but not the workgroup. I receive error "an unexpected network error occured" when I try to browse the workgroup on the server. The network has been in place for a couple of years and this problem appeared suddenly without any settings changed on the server.
I can ping and find other clients on the server and the workstations but the computer browser won't work.

Any Ideas?

Try to verofy the functionality of your WINS server service in the NT Server.

This is a good place to start.

Luck... L8ter!

When was the last time you rebooted your server?

This might help as well as the WINS. If it continues after the reboot,I agree with checking out the WINS!

Problem resolved.

As it turns out one of the workstations was locked up displaying only a black screen. I am not sure how it got in this condition, but after restarting the workstation, the computer browser started working again on all machines.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back