Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Browse Home Network on XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrne1

Programmer
Aug 7, 2001
US
I have a PC at home that is running XP Home, and I have enabled file and printer sharing, and use the Network Setup utility to set up a workgroup called MSHOME, but I still cannot browse this workgroup from my laptop (which is running XP Pro).

On the XPH machine I have shared a couple of directories and a printer. I have Komodo firewall, Windows firewall, and AVG running. I also have a wireless router connected to my cable modem and I am able to get to the internet just fine w/ my laptop (via wireless).

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? Is there any information that I may have left out?

I just had a thought - on my laptop (XPP) I belong to the JUSTWORK domain. Do I need to change the name of my XPH workgroup to JUSTWORK? Do they need to be the same?

Yep they need to be on the same workgroup.

Computers are like bikinis. They save people a lot of guesswork.
-Sam Ewing-

OK, so I've made them members of the same workgroup/domain (let's call it the SHINOLA workgroup/domain on XPH/XPP respectively). My XPH machine is called "HOME" (no surprise there) and my XPP laptop is called "LAPTOP".

LAPTOP computer
When I go to Explorer, expand Microsoft Windows Network, then expand the SHINOLA network, I can see an entry for HOME and an entry for LAPTOP. When I click on the HOME computer, I get this error message: "\\Home is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. <line break> The network path was not found.

HOME computer
When I go to Explorer, expand Microsoft Windows Network, then expand the SHINOLA network, the only computer I see is HOME. I cannot even see the LAPTOP computer.

OK, I bit more information. On my XPH computer (named HOME) I am running Comodo Firewall. I added a rule allowing traffic to go in and out if were part of the 192.128.1.xxx network. This has at least gotten me one step closer.

I can now see the shared resources on the HOME (XPH) computer from the LAPTOP (XPP) computer.

Now, when I try to access the LAPTOP (XPP) computer from the HOME (XPH) computer, I get a login prompt (userid and password). I tried my domain password but this doesn't seem to work.

So at least now I have a one-way street (XPP can see XPH).

byrne1 said:
when I try to access the LAPTOP (XPP) computer from the HOME (XPH) computer, I get a login prompt (userid and password). I tried my domain password but this doesn't seem to work
I'm not sure what you mean by "your domain password". When prompted, use a username/password that has administrator rights on LAPTOP (XPP).

By the way... the computers DO NOT need to be on the same workgroup to see each other. See

You are on the right track with Comodo try this..

Comodo will block TCP/IP network connections.

Select item 5 in the comodo network monitoring setup.
This will have a red icon next to it. By default this will block all local network traffic and stop your network from functioning. (there may be other reasons).
To allow (just your network) do this...

Right click on rule 5 and select edit.
You must now set this to exclude all address NOT in you network range.

On the IP tab select the following
Action Block
Protocol IP
Direction In/Out

Tick Exclude and IP Range and enter the start and end address of your network range.

Steve [The sane]: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back