Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to browse, but can still AIM and ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosquicklier

Technical User
Jul 20, 2003
I have yet another problem. This time it is even weirder than before. On the same computer that I fixed the internet problem on, the internet alone isn't working. I am able to sign on to AIM, MSN chat, Yahoo chat, ICQ, as well as IRC. I am even able to download things on IRC. Anyway, the trouble comes when I try to browse the internet. I am not able to access any web pages. I am still able to ping web sites and get valid replies back. This problem is only affecting one computer on my home LAN, so I assume it is something to do with that computer. I also get a perfectly normal readout when I do ipconfig /all. Has anybody ever seen this problem/know any solutions?

I also did a tracert on google.com and it worked completely fine. Furthermore, I tried to use IE, Opera, and Mozilla and with all of them I got the same result. The WAN status is fine as well.

Anybody have any ideas?

Disregard my last post. Anyway, I have a program called NetGrid that I downloaded off of download.com not too long ago. I used a utility that is part of the program to scan ports 70-90 and all of the ports were "closed."

If port 80 is closed, then that is the problem. To verify this, setup AIM to connect over port 80. If it fails to connect, then you know for sure that the port is the problem.

Open port 80. Though I'm really not sure why it would be closed. Do you have a firewall?

I do have a firewall. However, the computer I am typing on right now is behind that same firewall and has a perfectly fine internet connection. It has to be something with the specific computer. Any ideas?

Right after I sent my last post, I checked in my router settings, and sure enough port 80 was blocked on this computer. I was try to run a web server through my router and the firewall didn't let me, so I tried to open up port 80 using a firewall rule, and obviously this messed up my internet connection. Anyway, thanks a lot for the help.

I thought it was over, but obviously not. After a few hours of browsing, the internet somehow got disabled again. Same as before, all of the other items work (eg AIM, etc). All of the firewall rules are gone as well. Anybody up for it?

it sounds like you need to check your firewall settings - again! what firewall is it?

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back