Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to boot VMware 1.0.6 from ISO image on C:\

Status
Not open for further replies.

routerman

Technical User
Jul 15, 2002
GB
Hi, I'm trying to get VMware to boot from an ISO image file on my C: drive. I set up the CD-ROM in VMware to point at the file location, its a Windows 2k3 server evaluation ISO image downloaded from Microsoft today.

I go into the VMware BIOS, and set it to boot from the cd-rom, but it skips through, and tries to network boot. Eventually it times out, indicating thay no bootable device could be found.

I've read threads that indicate others have had similar problems, and were advised to set up the bios, which I've done.

Not knowing that much about OS images, is an ISO image that is located on my C: drive capable of booting, in which case the problem is associated with the VMware or host set up. Or do I have to do something to this image?

I tried burning this image to CD, and selecting the option to make the image bootable, but still no joy.

Is the machine you are working on capable of booting from a CD image? if yes, there really shouldn't be a requirement to tweak the BIOS. Have you tried actually burning the ISO image to CD to and used it to boot to see if it is valid?

I burnt the image to CD, selecting the `make bootable' in the process. Sticking this into the CD drive on my laptop, it didnt try to load it, so I suspect that image is either corrupt, or that my laptop is unable to use it.

I'll check the laptop, se if the bios on that is set to boot from the cd.

burn the iso but don't select the boot option the image is of a bootable install and will be detected when it starts.

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

Thanks for that, although I've got it working now. I downloaded the image again from MS, although this time I was directed to 2 images, these worked.

For future reference I got them from this page:

The file that I couldnt boot from is:

w2k3sp2_3959_usa_x86fre_spcd.iso

Those that worked are, from the above link:

X13-05665.img
X13-05463.img

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back