Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to attach to \\servername\sharename on BackupExec 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExhangeNeebie

IS-IT--Management
Nov 16, 2005
CA
To all you techies out there, first off.... Merry Christmas.

I would like some input on the dilemma I am facing. I am running a backup server (NT 4 box, with BackupExec 8.0). Everything was working fine until I changed the backup account password. The IT guy before me told me to change it back to the original password because the system recognize that in order to back up all the selective directories (on all the servers). So I did and I even rebooted the backup server. Now the backup server is backing up everything except 1 server (our file server). I have not ideas what to look for. If you need more information, feel free to write but this is the error I am getting from the Log File of the server that's not backing up. Extra info, BackupExec agent is installed on the file server and I've double check to make sure it is running at startup.

Unable to attach to \\servername\D$
Access is denied

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you.

Make sure that the BE server account for BE services has access to the file server. Check the Share and NTFS permissions on that server it cannot connect to. A simple test is to include Everyone or Domain users in Share and NTFS and then see if it can attach.

replace the pvl.mdb for 8.6 and see what happens

hidden75 - I have checked to make sure that Everyone have full access to the share. Also I added the backup account to the share and this account have Exchange and Domain Admin rights.

Below is the results of the Full Backup I ran the past Friday on the file server. It did backup all the files on C drive of the same server but not the D drive (very odd situation). There are diffinately more than 79 directories in D drive but it's not pick up all of them.

Results:

OFO: Started for device: "\\servername\C$"

Performing Agent Accelerated backup

Media Name: "Media created 12/18/05 04:13:06 PM"
Backup of "\\servername\C$ "
Backup set #12 on storage media #2
Backup set description: "Backup 0718"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 12/18/05 at 11:58:45 PM.

Backup completed on 12/19/05 at 1:26:09 AM.
Backed up 16965 files in 878 directories.
Processed 2,717,496,820 bytes in 1 hour, 27 minutes, and 24 seconds.
Throughput rate: 29.7 MB/min
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Unable to attach to \\servername\D$.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\servername\D$.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Performing Agent Accelerated backup

Media Name: "Media created 12/18/05 04:13:06 PM"
Backup of "\\server\System?State "
Backup set #13 on storage media #2
Backup set description: "Backup 0718"
Backup Type: NORMAL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
Backup started on 12/19/05 at 1:26:21 AM.

Backup completed on 12/19/05 at 1:27:36 AM.
Backed up 2142 files in 79 directories.
Processed 285,088,130 bytes in 1 minute and 15 seconds.
Throughput rate: 217.5 MB/min

Steveot:

I found 3 of the same files on the backup server.

pvl.mdb D:\Prog files\Seagate Software\BAckup Ex 12\19\2005
pvl.mdb D:\Prog files\Seagate Software\BAckup Ex 8\17\00
pvl.mdb D:\temp\WINNT\UTILS 12\15\99

I don't have a copy of the Backup 8.6 of the file. Would I be able to find it on the Internet. I have a copy of the installation disk for BackupExec 8.5. Would that do?

Thanks guys!

Now I got this error while running the full backup again this morning:

Device: \\fileserver #2\D$.

OFO: Static file has grown to maximum size and cannot be incremented anymore.

Create in account in administrator or backup administrator group and add in the same in the backup Job configure in backup exec for backing up a file server. This will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back