Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to attach to \\server\Microsoft Exchange Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

GndPrx

IS-IT--Management
Feb 25, 2002
US
Ok, I have searched just about all resources and have not found much that helps.

I am running BackupExec 8.6 with the exchange agent and remote agent installed. Backup is on a dedicated backup server and the exchange 5.5 is on a different machine in the same AD Domain.

I am able to backup down to the individual mailbox level, the Information store backs up fine, but I can not find out why the Directory store will not backup.

I am running SP2 on 2000 server and exchange sp4 and have verified that the correct exchange admin dll is running on both machines. The exchange client is Outlook 2000. I have already tried one hotfix from veritas but that didn't do anything. Circular logging is disabled.

Also just to verify myself, if I am backing up the mailboxes, information store and a successful directory store, then I can leave all of the EDB files unchecked at the file level and still be fully protected correct?

Any ideas?

What does job log detail say? any error messages? cannot connect, or something else? Darwin
Philadelphia PA
"I'm not paranoid, who told you that!"

It simply stated unable to attach...

however in researching some other issues, I found the solution...

When you run exchange 5.5 on a 2000 server that is an AD Domain controller, the LDAP and LDAP SSL ports on exchange do not function on the default ports (389 and 636 respectively)

Changing the LDAP port to 379 and the LDAP SSL to port 637 cleared up all sorts of problems including the backup problem...

Microsoft Articles
Q232606
and
Microsoft BackOffice Server 2000 Updated Release Notes

Hope this helps others out...

Carl

Well after 2 days of successful backups, it returns to not being able to backup the Directory store and now it's not even backing up the information store...

I really don't know what else to do at this point...anyone have any suggestions?

There is no more information in either the job or event logs that state anything other than Unable to attach...

Thanks for any help in advance...

Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back