Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to Attach to Exchange mailboxes to backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenchr

MIS
Mar 20, 2002
US
We have just finished converting to Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000, we have two servers a domain controller and a backup. Backup exec runs on the backup controller and Exchange 2000 runs on the domain controller. I have Backup exec 8.6 with the Remote agent and exchange agent. In the Job definitions I can see the checkbox for exchange mailboxes, but when I try to connect to a mailbox it won't let me. I tried creating a new mailbox just for BackupExec, but it won't let me connect to that one either. Is there a special way of creating a "unique" mailbox for backupExec in Exchange 2000, or am I missing something else?

thanks

-k

First go to services in Control Panel,identify backup exec 8.x. Click startup. Make sure the startup type is automatic, reconfirm that there is a service account for Backup exec. Try using this account. Also make sure that you have not only created this account in your exchange but you must log into it atleast once from your outlook.
Lets see what happens from here.

thanks for responding.

Okay I made a new user called Backupexec (copied administrator user), logged on once as backupexec, and I still can't get backup exec to attach to this mailbox (or administrator). Another interesting note is the password box is grayed out when I try to connect to the mailbox.

I also verified that the BackupExec remote agent service is started and set for automatic.

any other ideas?

Thanks

-k

I know that some backup programs require that you send the account, in which you created for your backups, an email to intialize it.

Did you do that? Just a thought.

I had this same problem, contacted veritas support and we figured out that MAPI was f'd up, I was using exchange2002(xp), They suggested I install an older version, I went with outlook 97sr2 on the backup server and that worked.

good luck 01110000

That did it!

I didn't have Outlook installed on the server, once I installed it everything worked just fine.

Thanks for the help.

-k

I've read several posts on this exact same problem, because we are experiencing it, too. Why on earth would Outlook have to be installed on the backup server? We have our BE installed on a major server for our company that has much or our data files, Exchange, etc...and from what I know/read about MS Outlook and its security, I am strongly opposed to installing Outlook on this server. Is this truly the only way to get backups of individual mailboxes to work!? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It is not Outlook you need, but the Exchange client. Outlook 97 and 98 contain the client but, I guess, that Outlook XP does not.

The reason the Exchange client is needed to to have something on the machine that the backup agent can connect to the mailboxes with.

As for security with Outlook, all you have to do is not use it for reading mail and the like. Outlook does not have to be running all the time, just installed.

Rob

Cool. Thanks for the info. I do understand that if Outlook isn't running, etc nothing can really happen, but it just makes me nervous to put applications that are user/desktop-oriented on a server, you know? What do I know, I'm somewhat of a novice when it comes to system administration.
Anyway, how would I go about installing just the Exchange client on the server? I knew how to do this back on Win98, but how do I do so on a machine running Win2k Server?

Any help is always appreciated.
Drew

The easiest way it to just put Outlook 97, or 98 on there. But if you really want just the client then i believe that it is on the Exchange 5.5 server disk. The Exchange client 4.0 is located here on the disk \SERVER\SUPPORT\EXCH40\I386

If i remeber right the 5.0 version of the exchange client came on its own disk, but that maybe wrong as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back