Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to attach to any drive on server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2003
US
We are using Veritas 9.0 with the lates build. The backup worked two nights ago and then didn't work last night. Nothing has changed in the environment. I have tried resetting the passwords and restarting services, didn't work. The user for the services is only used for Veritas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I had the same problem. Have you tried to check the folowing checkbox : Tools => Options => Network => Enable media server TCP dynamic port and Tools => Options => Network => Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port

During a backup/restore job of a remote computer the error "Unable to attach to one of the drives" may occur. This can happen if the number of ports specified for backup is too small.

To change the number of ports that Backup Exec will use, perform the following:

1. Click Tools -> Options -> Network.

2. Under "Enable media server TCP dynamic port range" increase the number of ports for the job engine. This is the number of ports to which the job engine will bind.

3. Under "Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range" increase the number of ports for the remote agent. This is the number of ports to which the remote agent will bind.

4. Suggested values: 10001 > 10025 for both settings

5. Click OK.

Document Refers:

How VERITAS Backup Exec 9.0 backs up remote computers: 255831:

I recently had the a000848c HEX error with BE 9.0 for Windows mixed with Netware 5.1 ~ I looked through this thread and all the Veritas articles... and had no workable solutions.

What DID work for me was: instead of using a typical username such as "admin" for Backup Exec, I entered a username into BE 9.0 as a Typeful Distinguished Name. It appears to also work with a Typeless Distinguished Name too. i.e. (Typeful) .cn=username.o=xxxxxx or (Typeless) .username.xxxxxx

When trying to restore using a login without the "dot" in front (Relative Distinguished Name), the restore failed...

Hope that helps,
Mike

I reset my backup services account password
Reset all the Backup Exec services to use the new user/pwd
Stopped and started all Backup Exec services

I still had a log in prompt when trying to edit the jobs
Created another 'logon account' in Network -> Logon Accounts with the user/pwd details that the Backup Exec services are using (set this as default and unrestricted)

Now at least you are able to edit jobs, but when running them I was still getting the error a000848c

Found the following articles and changed the resource credentials on my existing jobs...

Didn't know at the time that not only are the services related to a user account but so are the individual jobs.

I am having this same issue, only connecting to a Netware 3.12 server. I have rechecked credentials, reinstalled the agent on the Netware server, enable the agent to use IPX in the Network options, and still, 34113, unable to attach to drive(s) specified.

BTW, Veritas support is horrible. Average wait time is 1.5 hours during business hours, and email support I don't know the average response time, as my past emails this year have all gone unanswered.

Thanks.

I get a000848c "Unable to attach to attach to one of the drives" when running a test on a job that has failed repeatitively. When running the test which backs up a number of servers & work stations, I get different results each time I run the test. That is to say, different computers generate the a000848c message each time. Even the E: drive on the host NAS server has the message from time to time.

I ran the test 6 times within a half hour and none of the six tests exactly duplicated another test in the group. Does this software have a random number generator to dertermine if the credentials are correct? I use the same userid/password for the entire set of computers to be backed up. The userid is an administrator userid, so there should be no security barriers here.

Go a call in to Veritas but have been on hold for over an hour. Kind of wonder if my money was well spent!

Anyone have similar problems? Any suggestions? I am trying the suggestion of enabling the port range options but have not tried that one out just yet as I am in the middle of a backup job at present.

jaynichols,

Please don't 'tag' onto someone else's thread, especially one that is a couple of months old.

Start a new thread with your question.

-SQLBill

SQLBill: monkey see, monkey do. This thread has numereous secondary inquiries related to the initial thread. But if you guys want a new thread for every question, even though it is being dealt with in another thread, then so be it.

See ya!

I am having the same problem with Backup Exec 9.0. I used to have no problems backing up the Exchange 2000 mailboxes, but recently we have been getting the error a000848c hex. Cannot attach... I recently changed the administrator and services passwords (services is the account that manages the backup). When I view the permissions on th emailboxes individually, services is denied rights and I cannot change this. What is the parent object on the mailbox store and where do I find it to change these premissions?

Every once in a while I manually retention the tapes and I now get 100% complete, no errors. I also applied the updates too.

I need to clean the drive and such.

but, whenever I rentention the media, I never get that error.

We faced the same problem (a000848c error) at the backup of the exchange mailboxes using BEX 9.0.4367.

To solve to problem following actions were taken:
a.) install ServicePack1 of build 4367 (solved the 848c problem, but we still did not have access to the mailboxes)
b.) set the ports for the remote agent to 10001 - 10025
c.) created a backup account and assigned the rights for backing up the exchange server

Obviously there was a corruption in terms of rights of the administrator account (used for the backup). Using the backup account as logon account within the backup jobs to backup the mailboxes solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back