Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to attach to any drive on server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2003
US
We are using Veritas 9.0 with the lates build. The backup worked two nights ago and then didn't work last night. Nothing has changed in the environment. I have tried resetting the passwords and restarting services, didn't work. The user for the services is only used for Veritas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BcKuMonk3y,
You need to be a little more descriptive with your problem.
- Did the job(s)fail? If so, did the job log indicate what happened during the backup?
- Did you check for any unusual errors in the System or Application event log?

The more detail you can provide, the easier it will be to help you out.

M

M,

Yes the backup failed with the error "Unable to attach". It failed on the one server, out of 10 servers being backed up. Other than that error message in BE everything looked good in the logs.

Thanks

Hi,

I have the Same problem with Veritas 9.0 Most (but not all) jobs end with error # 34113 during Incremental or Full Backups, around 10-15 min into the back-up.

the Alert screen gives a message that says: (the job failed with the following error: Unable to attach to one of the drives.)

I looked at the job monitor and this is what it said.

Job ended: Monday, July 07, 2003 at 3:10:27 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error code: a000848c HEX
Final error description: Unable to attach to one of the drives.

Final error category: Resource Errors
Error rule Resource Errors was applied.

Final disposition: Job scheduled for next occurrence.

I tried searching the Veritas Site, but couldn't find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ameel

I too am experiencing this error but during restoring of files as opposed to backing up. I know previous versions of BE periodically experienced problems with accounts and passwords due to a corrupt password file, but with version 9 I had hoped that this problem would be corrected. The strange thing is if I redirect the restored files, the restore works correctly. As Ameel stated, the Veritas Web site has no information on this error. I am currently running BE 9.0 Build 4454. Any help would be most appreciated.

rvs

Same error message here.

Job ended: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at 1:00:56 AM

Final error category: Resource Errors

We are having the same problem, though intermittently. We have had it twice in about the last three weeks, but when it happens, it seems to affect multiple backups. We are using two tape libraries, managed by one server, and the backups that fail (usually three, one of which is running on the server that manages the library access) all seem to fail within a few minutes of each other.

I thought it might be a drive contention issue (that is, that the server managing the access to the tape libraries is unable to sort out what server is supposed to use what tape drive at what time), but we don't get any indication of tape libary problems to support this idea.

We are also using BE 9.0, build 4454, for Windows servers.

Well the problem has been fixed.....for now. Uninstalled through add/remove then manually unistalled the remote client through the registry and all folders, make sure to check the winnt/installer folder for any msi's. Then installed the client again and have not had the issue in a week.

J

I had this problem with 8.6. It turned out that I had a Pest Program called "Fire Daemon" running on the server that I could not attach to. It may or may not be your issue, but worth taking a look at. I found it by checking what services were running. I downloaded a program that detects and deletes pest programs.

Hi,

Check out my post from yesterday. I had the same issue which I called Veritas support and determined it to be a login account authentication problem. Maybe that will help you with your issue.

-=skymarvel=-

Here is my post:

Ok, I got it working with help from Veritas Support which I have to say is just awesome.

After talking with Veritas support, problem is associated with the
BACKUP user account.

Here are the steps that got it working:
If we removed the line password XXXXXX from the /etc/bkupexec/agent.cfg
file, backups are successful.

create a backup user account on the linux machine:
Username: backup
Password: xxxxx

For Each backup job, backup user credentials must be set.
This is done in Backup Job Properties Window > Select Files to backup >
Select Resource Credentials > In the right window, select the Server
(Hard Drive Icon) > Select Change Button on the right, select the logon
account which is also on the backup server with the SAME password.

Start a job.

This worked for me just fine. Good Luck.

We are having the same issue, except for that I only get the error intermittently on the D: volume of the remote server. The C: volume, Utility Partition and System State all backup fine. This server is also running Exchange 2000 and the exchange backup is successful.

Anybody else with this issue have the same details or does it fail on all items being backed up on the remote server?

I had the seam problem and I've changed permission to a directory adding Authenticated Users on the security tab (granting Read and Write) and now is working, the error message was:

Job ended: Friday, 25 July 2003 at 3:31:13 AM

Is the "D:" drive a CDROM drive?

"We are having the same issue, except for that I only get the error intermittently on the D: volume of the remote server. The C: volume, Utility Partition and System State all backup fine. This server is also running Exchange 2000 and the exchange backup is successful.

Anybody else with this issue have the same details or does it fail on all items being backed up on the remote server?"

The D: drive is not a CD-ROM. It is the volume that the Exchange Information Store is on and Exchange backs up successfully.

Hello

I've this error too. But when I try to modify the backup Job, another message appears : "a required privilege is not held by the client". I've a Domain Controller GPO in place but think that the user rights are OK. The user used to backuped and restore has domain admin rights ! If someone has an idea,i will felle better........

Backup Exec jobs run under the account that the BE Services run under. So, your user may have privileges to MANUALLY do a backup, BE might not have the privilege to AUTOMATICALLY (via scheduled job) to do a backup.

-SQLBill

I had the same problem with a client. The problem started after the administrator password was changed on the computer. I finally fixed the problem last night. If you are using Backup Exec 9.0 the jobes that are created use a specific user account and password. Even if you change the password in services it does not change the password for the jobs that are set up to run. If you click on JOB STATUS then click on the properties of the different jobs that are setup and it will tell you that the password was incorrect and ask you to enter and confirm a new one. This would have to be done for each of the jobs that have been created. Hope that this fix helps some of you.

Skymarvel,

I have to disagree with your opinion that Veritas support is awesome (id that's what you meant).

I had the same problem today, phoned support, who gave me a check list to work through.

Well that completely screwed the whole system, making it completely unusable. Thanks Veritas.

OxygenThief,
Well in my case, they were awesome in helping me solve the problem. The wait time is long, usually 30 mins to 1hr but most of the issues I came across were solved successfully.

what was the checklist they gave you to work through? I don't see how creating an account can screw up your system.

-skymarvel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back