Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to attach to ... Access is denied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

khinester

IS-IT--Management
Jul 24, 2003
FR
Hello,
I am find it very difficult to get to back up our Exchange Server, what am I doing wrong.

I've setup a Backup Job, selected Exchange Folder, and on the right pane it showed all the mail boxes.

I click Next till the end, and I run the Job immidiately, but it then fails with the following error:

======================================================================
Job Operation - Backup
Media operation - overwrite.
No compression enabled.
Unable to attach to \\B2000ADS\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
Access is denied.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Unable to attach to \\B2000ADS\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Job ended: 10 September 2003 at 09:38:39
Job completion status: Failed

Do I have to be logged in as the Backup Operator to carry this out. I am on the server and am logged is as the Administrator.

Please advise.

Thanks

Are you logged in your backup server as the domain administrator or the local administrator? Is the Exchange server in the same domain? Also, do you have the Backup Exec Exchange Agent installed on the Exchange server?

[yawn] Bob

I am logged in as the domain administrator. Yes the exchange server is on the same machine.

I didn't know there is an additional agent, I have Veritas Backup Server and also the Exchange module as well, I am presuming that this is the Backup Exec Exchange Agent or is this something else?

You should be logged on as the backup operator and also the backup operator needs to have a mailbox created on the exchange server.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

khinester,

You have to install the Exchange Agent and you need to install the Exchange 5.5 Admin on the Backup Server.

Hi

I'm having a similar problem to this, the think is my backup's were working. But in the last week or so I'm being denied access.
I don't think anything has been changed on the network.

Try this
1.Make sure you are logged on as Backup Exec Services account on to the Server.
2.Stop all BE services. Rename a file called BEWINUI.UNI (C:\Program files\Veritas\Backup Exec\NT\data) and restart services.
3.Select mailboxes and then run backup..

Good luck

Guru0123

I am having this error, but after promoting our Exchange to a DC. If I stop and start all the BE services, it temporarily fixes the problem. But a week or two later, the backup will fail again. I have a BE account that is a Domain Admin and is set to run all services. I am new to Veritas, been using it about 4 months now, and would like some insight if any is available...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

I think I fixed it. Stopped BE services, removed BE account from all groups other than Domain Admins, and restarted the services. The Backup has been successful for 3 backups now, so I think it is good to go...
Hope this can be helpful to someone else...

Aatari,

Rename it to BEWINUI.OLD...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

ONe way is , if you are connected as the backup service account of Veritas.

the other way of resolving the problem,is to
remove remote agent then,
restart server then
install remote agent then
restart server of the other server.

hi

did you ever get this sorted - i am having the same problem
i renamed the administrator mail box and since then i get access denied on my back up

today i tried creating a vertias user and mailbox and restarted all veritas services with log on as the veritas user

the veritas user is a member of the administrators group and just for good messure the backup operators group

still no success

Helo .eke.

try to use the mailbox of backup exec account mailbox to connect.

to have mailbox of backup exec account

create a mailbox for the backexec account with the domain right of backup exec .

Hope this helps

Jerry

hi

thanks for your reply
however the problem was`that i had to give service account permissions to the veritas user on site level of the exchnage and not just server level - also had to stop and restart backup exec services

this may help all the rest above

i think i can give detailed setup if anyone wants

I have found that most access is denied error messages are caused by believe it or not "Free space on the volume that is getting backed up". Try freeing up some more space or use the OFO wizard and direct the ofo cache to a volume on the server that has more free space. Also you might want to lower the percentage of disk space it tries to use for backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back