Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to amend data via a query

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxgti4x4

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
GB
I have a query (QryPersonalDetails)which extracts data from two tables, using a common field (Alias). TblMaster_Address_List contains 600 records and TblPassportDetails contains 21. My problem is that the data is extracted OK but I cannot amend it.

I assume that Access will not allow me to amend data in two tables at once, even though the query specifies the table from which the information is drawn.

I would be grateful if someone could confirm this or, if my assumption is incorrect, advise me how I should proceed.

Best Regards
John

It depends on a number of things such as the nature of the link between the two tables, and whether each table has a unique key.
You would need to provide more info on your tables for anyone to judge.

I do not think this is true. Please post the SQL for you query.

Remou,

The SQL is as follows:

Code:
SELECT QryPersonalDetails2.Alias, QryPersonalDetails2.DateOfBirth, QryPersonalDetails2.PlaceOfBirth, QryPersonalDetails2.CountyOfBirth, QryPersonalDetails2.CountryOfBirth, QryPersonalDetails2.Nationality, QryPersonalDetails2.P1PassportNo, QryPersonalDetails2.P1PlaceOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.P1DateOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.P1DateOfExpiry, QryPersonalDetails2.P2PassportNo, QryPersonalDetails2.P2PlaceOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.P2DateOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.P2DateOfExpiry, QryPersonalDetails2.USVisaType, QryPersonalDetails2.VDateOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.VDateOfExpiry, QryPersonalDetails2.VPlaceOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.DischargeBookNo, QryPersonalDetails2.DBDateOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.DBPlaceOfIssue, QryPersonalDetails2.Height, QryPersonalDetails2.EyeColour, QryPersonalDetails2.Sex, QryPersonalDetails2.UKDL, QryPersonalDetails2.USDL, QryPersonalDetails2.Notes, QryPersonalDetails1.[Contact First Name], QryPersonalDetails1.[Contact Second Name], QryPersonalDetails1.[Contact Third Name], QryPersonalDetails1.[Contact Surname], QryPersonalDetails1.[Mobile Telephone], QryPersonalDetails1.[Home Address 1], QryPersonalDetails1.[Home Address 2], QryPersonalDetails1.[Home Address 3], QryPersonalDetails1.[Home Address 4], QryPersonalDetails1.[Town (Home)], QryPersonalDetails1.[County+Zip/Post Code (Home)], QryPersonalDetails1.[Country (Home)], QryPersonalDetails1.[Home Telephone]
FROM QryPersonalDetails1 RIGHT JOIN QryPersonalDetails2 ON QryPersonalDetails1.Alias = QryPersonalDetails2.Alias
ORDER BY QryPersonalDetails2.Alias;

Thanks a lot,
John

This seems to be a query based on another query. I have misunderstood your question. I had expected to see references to TblMaster_Address_List and TblPassportDetails. In addition, unless there is something fairly simple in the sql, you will need to supply the information mentioned by lupins46. :)

Sorry Remou, I copied the wrong query - I had been experimenting with various ideas. The correct code is:

Code:
SELECT TblPassportDetails.Alias, TblPassportDetails.DateOfBirth, TblPassportDetails.PlaceOfBirth, TblPassportDetails.CountyOfBirth, TblPassportDetails.CountryOfBirth, TblPassportDetails.Nationality, TblPassportDetails.P1PassportNo, TblPassportDetails.P1PlaceOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.P1DateOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.P1DateOfExpiry, TblPassportDetails.P2PassportNo, TblPassportDetails.P2PlaceOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.P2DateOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.P2DateOfExpiry, TblPassportDetails.USVisaType, TblPassportDetails.VDateOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.VDateOfExpiry, TblPassportDetails.VPlaceOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.DischargeBookNo, TblPassportDetails.DBDateOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.DBPlaceOfIssue, TblPassportDetails.Height, TblPassportDetails.EyeColour, TblPassportDetails.Sex, TblPassportDetails.UKDL, TblPassportDetails.USDL, TblPassportDetails.Notes, [Master Address List].[Contact First Name], [Master Address List].[Contact Second Name], [Master Address List].[Contact Third Name], [Master Address List].[Contact Surname], [Master Address List].[Mobile Telephone], [Master Address List].[Home Address 1], [Master Address List].[Home Address 2], [Master Address List].[Home Address 3], [Master Address List].[Home Address 4], [Master Address List].[Town (Home)], [Master Address List].[County+Zip/Post Code (Home)], [Master Address List].[Country (Home)], [Master Address List].[Home Telephone]
FROM TblPassportDetails LEFT JOIN [Master Address List] ON TblPassportDetails.Alias = [Master Address List].Alias;

The Primary keys for both tables are autonumbers. The link is based on "Alias".

Hope this clarifies things.
Best Regards
John

Is Alias unique in either table, and if so, is it indexed as such?

Remou,

Alias is unique in both tables but neither is indexed. In TblPassport Details there is a record for each Alias Name, whereas Tbl Master Address List contains about 600 records, only 30 of which contain have an entry in the Alias field.

Best Regards
John

I think if you add a unique index to the Alias field in one or both tables, you will be able to update. [ponder]

Remou,

Do you mean that I should add a second primary key, or is indexing a more complex process?

Best Regards
John

It is quite simple, just choose Yes (No duplicates) from the Indexed property dropdown list for the Alias field. I guess I ought to refer you to some links, as there seems to be some problem with Primary keys:
Relational links (the first two are the same article, different format):
283878 - Description of the database normalization basics
304467 - ACC2000 Defining Relationships Between Tables in a Microsoft Access Database

Remou,

Thanks for all your help, I'll try this and let you know the outcome.

Best Regards
John

Remou,

That did the trick, I set both indexes to Yes(No duplicates) and I can now add update as necessary.

PHV,

Thanks for taking a look, it looks as though Remou's advice was enough to solve my problem.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Best Regards
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back