Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to allocate new media, non available (96) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

petakke

Technical User
Feb 26, 2004
BE
Dell server: poweredge 2650
Netbakup 4.5 FP6
Powervault 122T (8 slots)

Scheduled Job fails with the above error:
Even if media is available in the volume pool, netbakup is not using it. Tape is empty.

*available_media says the tape is available
*Media lists "assigned time" is empty.

If you do a manual backup it runs. This happens on all our sites. Some new tapes works normal others will not (inventory media works ok).

Any ideas would be appriciated.
Thanks and regards

Check the setting on your library ie that it is set to use all types of tapes as opposed to particular types, which is part of my suggestion check that you are not using a DLT2 drive for instance and DLT tapes. I have had experiences where the drive and the firmware revision on my library only allowed one specific types of tapes for each drive.

Check the Actual format of the tape as frogger mentioned - HCART vs. HCART2 etc. Also, is the tape frozen? When you run the backup and it fails, check the error logs for the exact nature of the problem ...

bperror -L -jobid <job id>

This will give you all the entries for that particular job.

Thanks for the reply ...

This didn't help .. Ps. we have LTO's
The tapes are not frozen and show up as "available" but he's not using it. It's the only tape in the pool so he will give the error as in the title.

error in log found :
"23:44:42.921 [3064.2172] <2> db_byid: search for media id RA0001
23:44:42.921 [3064.2172] <2> delete_image: could not find media id RA0001 in database, nothing to delete"

Thanks,
Wim

It sounds like it is searching another media server? Can you confirm that the backup policy is pointing to the right media device/pool and media pool?

I checked and seems to be correct. I re-created the pool earlier on and "bpexpdate -m .. -d 0" the tape.

can this have to do with the retention time and "Allow multiple retentions per media" not checked? Even after the bpexpdate?

You are likely missing a step as the data is probably still on in the database on the media server.

Check faq776-3354 and run each command against the tape.

PS. forgot to tell you this helped.

Thank you!
Wim

Don't check allow multiple retetions you are just storeing problems up for later. When you have no spare tapes in the pool do you have a scratch pool for it to get another tape? I would try freezing tape RA0001 and see if the system will go for a differant tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back