Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to add domain users to local resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsglists

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2006
US
This happens when I am trying to do stuff like add a domain user/group to a local resource on the PC, add domain users to the local power users group, etc.

After logging in as Local Admin, I browse down to the folder, right-click to go into security to assign the domain user rights to the folder. But it doesnt display domain users, it only displays the local users and the location as the local machine. I am not able to change the location to the domain as when I try to "look-in", it doesnt list any other location, even though this machine is part of the domain.

Normally (on which I was able to successfully follow the steps), it would prompt me for the domain authentication, list the users in the domain, I would select the domain user and assign the user rights to the folder or other resource.

The wierdest part is that, it does what it is supposed to sometimes after a few reboots/days (no pattern though) and sometimes it simply does not even though I always login as the local admin. Also, this is not the only machine that does this. Quite a few other machines in the domain do the same. I can assure you that no setting were changes on the server or the clients and the same setting applies to all. I agree, it might be hard for some to believe that "it happens sometimes and doesnt happen other times" even though nothing changes, well thats simply what happens.

I can't use domain admin account, for it doesnt have the permissions to assign permissions to folder, add users to local power users group, etc.

What do I do.
Please advice.
Thanks.

To confirm, is this a member of the domain? Assuming so, then is it Active Directory? Assuming it is, do your DNS1 and DNS2 entries point to your Active Directory DNS servers?

Is "<domainame>\domain admins" a member of your <localmachine>\Administrators group?

Re,
is this a member of the domain?
--> yes

Assuming so, then is it Active Directory?
--> yes

Assuming it is, do your DNS1 and DNS2 entries point to your Active Directory DNS servers?
--> yes

Is "<domainame>\domain admins" a member of your <localmachine>\Administrators group?
--> yes

Please let me know if you need more clarifications.
Thanks a bunch.

I was able to add domain users/groups to local groups by using,
> net localgroup "Power users" domain\subbiah /add
The command completed successfully.

You can do much more with net localgroup, but unfortunately not be able to assign permissions to folder. I couldnt find a similar net command to "add a domain user/group to a local resource on the PC like giving rights to a folder to a domain user.

Thanks a bunch!!

If you assign permissions to a local Group for which you have added the Domain group, the permissions are then set for the Domain group.

duh!!!
Thanks a bunch.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back