Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to ad a new entry in fmpro 4.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcartman

Technical User
Aug 24, 2003
US
I'm working with an old FM 4.1 database. I can presently make changes to entries and upload them to the site with the changes and they'll show up. What I can't do is ad a new entry. Every time I upload the database the new entries won't take. What gives?? Anyone, please. In the meantime I'm checking into a trial version of FMpro6.

The possibilities here are pretty wide without knowing how the database is set up. I'm guessing you probably use a script to do your update? Try following through your procedure by hand to make sure everything's working as it should, then put stops in your script and see what's happening (and what isn't) at different stages.
I find that it's best to break relatively large, complex, problems into small, simple, ones.

Don, I'm not doing any actual scripting here (being the front-end web designer that I am). I'm just going through FM pro's own UI to enter in the info. Unfortunately I don't have a back-end guy working wth me on this so I have to iron it out on my own. My other solution was to transfer the database (small, only 1.2 M) over to FM pro 6. I'll try and get a little more info on how it's set up. It's on a server offsite through another company. Through their interface I close the database, download it to my desktop, make the changes/additions, upload it back, then reopen it trough their site. In the meantime thanks for your help.

they could have setup a "blank" password with limitations to the file.....but as said, without you having the DB and knowing about it....it will be "tough love"
try switching between Views (form,list,table)....also some layouts might have been setup so that fields do no allow entry....etc.
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back