Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to activate windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondaman2003

Programmer
Mar 3, 2008
US
When I right click computer, click properties, then click activate now I get the following error message:

The Windows 7 Product Key you typed is invalid for activation.

I already typed the product key that came with my computer during installation of a new version of windows.

How do I activate windows?

Here is the back story, so you don't make suggestions on things I already tried. I have a dell that came with windows 7 pro 64 bit. This is going to be a point of sale (POS) machine. The POS software can only work with 32 bit windows. But because of previous experience, I was going to just install a fresh copy of windows 7 pro 32 bit using the same key. This has worked for me before just a few months ago. This particular machine didn't come with a windows product key sticker like all other computers I have ever seen. Previously I was able to use the PID that was on the sticker but since it wasn't there this time, I downloaded a key finder application to get it out of the registry. This is the product key I am using.

Doing my searching on the internet I was informed of the possibility that there are actually two keys that come with an OEM machine. The key that is used for the factory install and a key that is on the sticker. Since I don't have a sticker, could this be the problem?

Please help.

hondaman's question:
"Would there be any sort of consequences later of having all these machines with the same key?"

I don't see any greater consequence than that of the 64 bit having the same code.

Discussed this with another tech today. He is of the opinion that 7 pro won't activate from a cloned CD install like we are discussing. I can't say other than I think it did the one time I attempted it. System I tried it with was set back to XP when I was through experimenting.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I know of an "activator" that works [wink] because I use it when setting up temporary VMs, "activation" is a real pain when you only need a clean install for just a few days of testing without having to kill the "You have 'X' days ...... etc. etc. " every startup, or having to spend pressing listening buttons, putting the code in again etc. etc.
I do have licences available from our "MS Action Pack", I just choose the easier route!

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

cdogg,
I am using an MSDN version that requires a product key. Had this computer come with a sticker it would have worked because I did it with another Dell computer just a few months ago where I used this exact same version of windows 7 pro 32bit with the key on the side of the machine.

At the end of the day, the solution to this problem was to use a Dell OEM DVD. It will automatically activate when installed. Dell sent me the disc and I'm up and running.

Thank you everyone for taking part in this conversation.

Don't they still owe you an OEM COA? or did you purchase a box with no OS?

I guess I didn't push that issue. They sent me a DVD and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back