Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to activate windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hondaman2003

Programmer
Mar 3, 2008
US
When I right click computer, click properties, then click activate now I get the following error message:

The Windows 7 Product Key you typed is invalid for activation.

I already typed the product key that came with my computer during installation of a new version of windows.

How do I activate windows?

Here is the back story, so you don't make suggestions on things I already tried. I have a dell that came with windows 7 pro 64 bit. This is going to be a point of sale (POS) machine. The POS software can only work with 32 bit windows. But because of previous experience, I was going to just install a fresh copy of windows 7 pro 32 bit using the same key. This has worked for me before just a few months ago. This particular machine didn't come with a windows product key sticker like all other computers I have ever seen. Previously I was able to use the PID that was on the sticker but since it wasn't there this time, I downloaded a key finder application to get it out of the registry. This is the product key I am using.

Doing my searching on the internet I was informed of the possibility that there are actually two keys that come with an OEM machine. The key that is used for the factory install and a key that is on the sticker. Since I don't have a sticker, could this be the problem?

Please help.

Is this from Dell? because they have to give you the product key, or is this a used machine bought from some shady dealer? As to the last sentence that is correct.

using the same key.
What key was this? You said you didnt' have one on the side of the machine. Did you use a keyfinder to get the installed factory loaded key before you reinstalled? That won't work.

Doing my searching on the internet I was informed of the possibility that there are actually two keys that come with an OEM machine. The key that is used for the factory install and a key that is on the sticker.
Yes, at the factory they put the same key code on thousands of machines, but IF you reload windows, you need to input the key code on the side of the computer - your actual license to run Windows leagally. Some Dells don't require activation if you use the Dell OS reinstall DVD that came with them, but let's not concentrate on that.

Since I don't have a sticker, could this be the problem?
Umm, YES!!! You have been scammed because it should have had a COA sticker on it OR you're up to something. You need the OEM key code that came with that machine OR a retail key code that you obtain somewhere (read: you will have to pay for it).

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

This is a brand new computer from Dell that came with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. It just doesn't have the usual PID sticker that ever other computer I have ever ordered comes with.

So, I've never heard of that before - a new PC (from a reputable company) not having a COA. Usually that describes a flea market computer or back-of-van vendor.

It's not somewhere on the case - top/bottom/sides? Look in the box first, but I highly doubt it could fall off. They're pretty good at putting those things on to never come off in one piece. Call Dell immediately and tell them about it.

This is not a laptop, so there shouldn't be a battery compartment. I did open the case just in the event they put it there but it's not there either. I look all around the case and it's just not there at all. I didn't give the cardboard box a good look because I didn't feel that would be a good spot for it but I will check around there.

Thank you all for the clarification.

Check your media that came with the computer, I've seen the sticker on the media sleeve and you just have to remove it and put on the side of the computer. If it's not there, contact Dell, they should be able to tell you where it is, or provide you with a new COA.

I've never seen it detached from the computer. The OEM is supposed to stick it to the case to signify that this code lives/dies with this computer and is not transferable.

I know it is, but beer o'clock on a Friday, and just need to get that last one in the box......corners get cut. Not saying it's right, just sh1t happens.

This doesn't answer the missing COA question but any DELL 7 Pro 32 CD will install and work. Don't know of possible problems of drivers for something that was built around the 64 bit target.

I've put 7 on stuff intended for XP. Onboard network didn't identify so external device was needed.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thank you for the responses. This computer came with windows 7 pro 64bit but also included a license for windows 8 pro 64bit. The media that came with the computer is for windows 8 pro 64bit. I checked the sleeve and there is no product key on that either.

On a side note, I ordered 13 computers and when I opened a second one and checked the product key with my program, it was the exact same product key as the first one. I think that may confirm the fact that the factory uses the same product key for many systems.

At this time I am in the process of working with Dell on this issue. So far I have gotten to this "first response" team that handles issues with systems in the first 90 days. They wanted me to use their program to identify the product key. I used it on the second system and it found the exact same product key as my program.

I will keep you all updated on what happens next when I call them today.

It isn't that they use the same product key like we would use the same product key. On their end it is installing a cloned hard drive with a working key. Some have suggested that the key they use is not a working key at all but that whatever verifies activation has been installed as part of the load.

You could do the same thing with your 13 machines, assuming they are identical. Load your software on one, check that it works correctly, then clone 12 times. An assumption again, that the software is not individualized. I use this as a fast recovery for several machines by keeping cloned drives as spares.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

edfair,

Cloning is a really great idea. Do you think there is a problem with me doing that now that I have got one machine working because of the key that MS gave me? Would there be any sort of consequences later of having all these machines with the same key?

On their end it is installing a cloned hard drive with a working key.
Right - an image placed on thousands of PCs. Legal for Dell to do it, but not for Joe Bootlegger.

If it's a downgrade, you have to follow the procedure and CALL them for a key code!!!
You should have mentioned this in very the beginning. They DO NOT ship a Windows 7 COA or a DVD with a windows 8 pc but you have downgrade rights as long as you have Windows 8 PRO, but you must call to activate and they give you a ONE TIME key code.

Link
You need your own windows 7 DVD which you can download.

The computer already has windows 7 pro 64 bit on it. It just came with the windows 8 disc. I told the salesmen that I am going downgrade from 64bit to 32bit. I am a little angry that he didn't think that this could be a problem for me.

Okay. I see. Then still follow the procedure: obtain Windows 7 media, install, call Microsoft to register. You DO have Windows 8 Professional or above - correct?

The problem part is relative to whether you have the CD or not.

This computer came with windows 7 pro 64bit already installed. I used a program to give me the product key. Then I installed windows 7 pro 32bit. Using that key, MS will not activate it, even over the phone.

Dell either needs to give me media that will not require a key to activate or give me a key.

In all of this, I didn't see you mention what Windows 7 32-bit DVD you're using. Is it actually from Dell, or are you trying to use another OEM or retail version (which won't work)?

HP utilizes a digital product key (DPK) that is embedded in the motherboard's BIOS. The first time the freshly-installed operating system is connected to the internet, it activates automatically. I'm pretty sure Dell computers work the same way. The Windows DVD they ship with their workstations do not ask for a key during installation. It automatically uses the DPK.

So yes, you'll need one of their DVDs, and you should be all set.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

A lot of Dells don't even require activation on the internet and as you said never even ask you to type in your key code. I know this from reloading XP many times on Dells. I often didn't have internet access after reloading and they were still "activated". Haven't done enough reloads with Windows 7 to comment on the present situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back