Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access workgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelanlegend

IS-IT--Management
May 25, 2004
US
I have two problems. The first being one computer using an opnboard Marvell gigabit network card cannot access the workgroup, though it should be able to. It's never head a problem before, but after the last reformat it is no longer able to browse the network.

Problem number two is of a computer unable to see other comouters on the network. This machine is running an Asus A8V mobo with the onboard Marvell Gigabit (no this isn't the same machine from problem number one) and it can see the workgroup, but cannot see anything but itself. I have checked and rechecked the configuration and even let windows autoconfiguration wizard give it a shot and still no luck. No computers on the network can see it, and it cannot see anyone either. I can still connect to other PCs, however, by going directly to their IP address. Oddly enough, other machines cannot connect to this machines IP address. Any ideas?

Sounds like a configuration problem in software. You might consider the forums relating to the OS you are using.

If you're running windows XP with SP2, then the firewall may be causing your problems.

MCSE CCNA CCDA

I disabled the windows SP2 firewalls in each computer that is having this problem and that didn't change anything unfortunately.

If you go into Hardware config, does the Network adapter show a yellow ? befor it or are there any other errors.
How are your stations receiving IP addresses, static or dynamic, by router or server?

In any event make sure that your machine is getting an IP address, and that it's in the same workgroup name as the other machines, lastly make sure your Hub/switch/router is functioning properly.

>-- --<

[worm] Bill [:<}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back