Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access web via DNS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kroozby

Technical User
May 20, 2005
GB
I have a windows 2000 serving acting as DHCP server which is connected to a firewall which in turn is connected to an ADSL modem which gives Internet access. None of my clients can access the Internet but are able to log into the LAN Could you please tell me how to configure DNS (I think this is where the problem is) in order for the clients to access the internet as well as the LAN.Thanks a million all.

there could be several things causing your problems.
Can you access internet from any local machine? The win2k server?
Do you have a router between the win2k/dhcp server and you dsl connection? What kind of firewall do you have?
Does the win2k server have 2 NICs? One for local/dhcp and one for the internet/firewall connection?

Sounds to me like you need to give the clients proper information from the DHCP (default gateway) and somehow share the internet connection using NAT.
No need to setup a local dns-server when you have an ISP delivering the proper dns information.
I think the "internet-flow" should look something like this.

internet/ISP <--> adsl/firewall <--> win2k/dhcp (internet sharing/NAT) <--> clients

/Sören

is your adsl modem the same device as your firewall, or is it connected separately to the LAN?

if so it will have an IP address.
you will need to use this IP address as the default gateway.
test on one PC, if it works, put it in the DHCP scope options.

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at

Thanks for your help guys. I have a seperate box for my adsl modem, firewall which is also a router my server is windows 2000(with a single network card) which is also configured as DHCP for local IP addressing. My adsl modem has a fixed ip address as does my firewall on the WAN side I also have fixed ip addresses for dns servers from my isp. If I configure a client with a fixed IP address and DNS addresses it connects to the internet but not the LAN Besides I dont have enough ip addresses for this. I am trying to use NAT for the clients. I was told I need to configure DNS forwarding but I dont know how to do this. Thank you.

on the dns server console, your right click your server and choose properties:

then go to 'forwarders' tab and add the ip address of, i imagine, your ISPs DNS server.

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at

do you have a local dns server?

If so, I can understand your ISP request of setting up a forwarder to their dns. Otherwise no. A forwarder is used to send off-site queries to a certain dns-server. This server builds up a cache much like a proxy when surfing. Next time it receives a query it looks in the cache first. Making an external connection/question unnecessary. This is useful if you have a slow internet-connection with delays, or pays per traffic volume. Something I suppose you don't with your ADSL connection? So you shouldn't set up a local forwarding server, but forward to you isp.

What kind of dns server do you have? microsoft? bind?

see aftertaf's response on how to enable this on m$ systems.

anyway. try this first and let us know what happens.
otherwise we'll try something else.

/Sören

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back