Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access the Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsteiner87

Programmer
Oct 9, 2003
US
I am trying to install SBS 2003 on a brand new server. This is a clean install and I am setting up a new network. The server install goes as it should and after it installs I load up 4 drivers (video card, chipset, and 2 LAN drivers). After I install the drivers, I continue with the SBS setup. I can see that active directory is setup and the computer restarts. When it turns back on I get an error message that says, "Unable to access the Active Directory". This is a clean install. Why would I have problems like this?

Is there an accompanying error in the Eventlog? That would be the first place to look, but if it was my server I would try a reinstallation from scratch and see if it recurs.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I have reinstalled the OS 3 or 4 times but I still get the same error during the install of the SBS server.

I am still having problems with this server and I will try to explain this as best as possible.

I am trying to setup this server in a exsisting Windows 2000 domain that has a single Windows 2000 Server running. I have been following the MS article (884453) on how to accomplish this task. When I finish step 7 and promote the server to a global catalog server, I restart the server. That is when it goes bad. This is a brand new server and I have nothing else loaded on it. Just the OS and drivers. I get the "Unable to access active directory" when the computer starts. I am getting the following errors in my event log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: ESENT
Event Category: Logging/Recovery
Event ID: 477
Date: 5/7/2008
Time: 10:46:38 AM
User: N/A
Computer: EXODUS
Description:
NTDS (3452) The log range read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\edb.log" at offset 1589760 (0x0000000000184200) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch. The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b). If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Event ID: 465
Description:
NTDS (3452) Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position 3105:24. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 3106. This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

Description:
NTDS (3452) The log range read from the file "C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\edb.log" at offset 1589760 (0x0000000000184200) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes failed verification due to a range checksum mismatch. The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b). If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.

Description:
NTDS (3452) Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\WINDOWS\NTDS\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position 3105:24. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 3106. This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

Description:

Description:

Event ID: 454
Description:
NTDS (3452) Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -501.

Event Source: NTDS General
Event Category: Internal Processing
Event ID: 1003
Time: 10:22:46 AM
Description:
Active Directory could not be initialized.

The operating system cannot recover from this error.

User Action
Restore the local domain controller from backup media.

Additional Data
Error value:
-501 %2

Why would a new server setup be doing this after one restart? I also get this error if I install this server as a standalone in an enviroment seperate from my network.

What's the hardware? Is it all brand-new or has some of it been recycled? Is there a RAID or SCSI controller involved?

Tony

Users helping Users...

All of the hardware is brand new. I have a SATA RAID controller running a RAID 10 setup.

Intel Xeon Chip
4 GB of memory
Promise RAID controller
Western Digital SATA 320 GB hard drives
ASUS Motherboard

I don't have a problem with any of the install processes until I try to install active directory and making it the global catalog server.

Can you clarify, do the problems happen at step 5 active directory installation and verification (do you get the result described in 5L?), or step 7 GC? (do you get the events described in 7D?)

If you are talking about the MS Article 884453 that I am following, I am not having problems until step 7e. I get event 1119 as instructed in 7d and then I restart. Once the computer is restarted that is when all the problems happen.

This is a clean install and I am setting up a new network"

"I am trying to setup this server in a exsisting Windows 2000 domain that has a single Windows 2000 Server "

Are you (1) doing a clean install and setting up a new AD network, or are you (2) migrating AD from a 2000 network? If (2), did you follow the steps in the referenced document kb278875?

How many clients are there? It may be easier to do a clean install onto the SBS box with a new AD domain and migrate the clients manually if 2-10 clients?

Alternatively, (if (2) above) have a look at sbsmigration.com, it really does make the process much easier.

I was first testing things out setting up a seperate network and doing a clean SMB install (outside of my current network).

I then reinstalled Windows SMB 2003 in my current network and used the MS Article 884453 as a reference.

When I did either one of the installs I would get the same error when Active Directory was setup and the computer restarted.

Also, Before I started this process I did run the adprep commands on the Windows 2000 Server and they completed without any errors.

Why are you restarting after making it a GC? Looks like you're getting corruption.

Install the OS and let it sit overnight. Check the logs for errors. Promote to DC, reboot, and let it sit for a while. Check the logs - a lot happens when you promote the server.

The following day, make it a DC and let it sit. Check the logs.

Pat Richard
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Contributing author The Complete Reference: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back