Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access some web pages????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisOz

Technical User
Mar 23, 2003
AU
Hi
While using IE 6 ;I am a bit miffed how Some people can access the odd web page and I cant. Yet I can access some they cant.I disable all firewalls lower the security levels switch off cookie and pop up blockers and still no luck.
ie Any ideas?
Thanks
Chris

Any ideas?
Assuming you have read the local threads in this forum for suggestions (and had no luck)... I suggest you try Firefox - a standards compliant browser that seems to work when IE doesn't.

I've upped my standards - up yours!

Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page [/tt][tt]@[/tt][tt] Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? faq216-6094

First off disabling firewalls doesnt always stop all there functions. Zone alarm is a perfect example of that. Just to be sure if your using any software firewalls beside xp check in t hem for banner blockers and add blockers and yes I know you said you disabled pop up blockers but just in case Im mentioning that. Also check internet explorer and make sure the site isnt listed as a restricted site. By the way another reason as I jsut checked im more sure its probally a built in function of a software firewall of blocking banners and things that site does have pop ups.

Thanks for your suggestions guys. Yes im tempted to use Firefox as its getting really good reviews not bad for a teenagers effort. As for the software issue I tend to agree as a lot of my clients use IE6 and need to resolve issues such as this I need to find an answer so taking your advice I think I will actually remove all the third party anti-this-nthat software and have another shot.
Thanks Chris

Are you running any host file restrictions? When you try to access the page does the page have a circle with bar in the status bar? That will tell you if it is being restricted by settings or there is a program such as spy ware blaster installed.

Just recently I had a computer not accessing some webpages I could and found out the sreen resolution wasn't high enough. I was on 800 x 600 and to my surprise some page would not display until I increased the resolution

Hi guys
Thanks for your posts tried the resolution good idea but no go. As for the status bar no sign of that little fella. I havnt been game to fry firefox yet as my system is working so well despite this hickup ill give it a go next time i do a ghost.
Thanks Chris :)

Good point Dan
I am doing a Ghost very soon today if I get a bit of time and I will be onto it. With Firefox iis there a need for pop up blockers?
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back